replacing clutch lever and perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing clutch lever and perch

The mirror perch that's currently on my bike was busted, so I bought a new one and it came today. As soon as it warms up a little, I'm gonna take it home and replace it. To replace the perch, I'm gonna have to remove the grip and the switches. To take off the grips, I've heard things ranging from compressed air, WD-40, and soapy water. Which of these works the best? To get the grip back on, I've heard hairspray is the best to use. Does it work that well, and if it does, how much should I use?

And when I take off the switches, is it pretty trouble free? I don't want switches flying all over the place.

Hairspray off, hairspray on...

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
    The mirror perch that's currently on my bike was busted, so I bought a new one and it came today. As soon as it warms up a little, I'm gonna take it home and replace it. To replace the perch, I'm gonna have to remove the grip and the switches. To take off the grips, I've heard things ranging from compressed air, WD-40, and soapy water. Which of these works the best? To get the grip back on, I've heard hairspray is the best to use. Does it work that well, and if it does, how much should I use?

And when I take off the switches, is it pretty trouble free? I don't want switches flying all over the place.
    Just loosen the switches and slide them off the end if the wires are long enough. if not they shouldn't come apart.
    Next time get a perch off a newer bike, they have a "cap" with two bolts so the grips don't have to come off.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The perch I got is brand new OEM, but it didn't have the double bolt design.

Comment

I'm guessing that you have some sort of Suzuki GS, right?

(In other words, tell us what the &^%$# you're working on!)

As far as removing the grips, consider replacing them. Less than $10 will fetch a really nice set of grips if your old ones are worn or gross looking. If you'd like to keep them, start with the compressed air trick, then try alcohol or a bit of soapy water. If you do need to resort to tools to break a glue bond, start very gently with a small, thin screwdriver and be extremely careful with the fragile plastic throttle tube. Personally, I prefer to not take chances and so I usually just gently cut old grips off.

To install, clean up the handlebar or throttle tube with brake cleaner or alcohol, then coat the bar and the inside of the grip with hair spray and quickly slid the grips into place. A spritz of compressed air under the grip will help dry out the hair spray more quickly. You want the cheap, nasty hair spray -- a 99 cent can from the bottom shelf off the discount store should get you through a lifetime of grip replacements.

If you know the grips were mounted with hair spray, more hair spray will usually help dissolve the bond so you can remove them.

I've tried the grip glue you see in small packages on parts counters, and I absolutely hate it. No matter how fast you are, the stuff seems to solidify with the grip about halfway on.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Whoops, sorry forgot to mention what kind of bike I have. It's a '78 550E.

But anyway, I want to keep my grips, as I like them. I'm only taking off the grip so I can replace the left perch. So with compressed air, do I blow it in the right grip to remove the left one?

Comment

Just stick the nozzle of the air gun under the edge of the grip you're removing, between the grip and the handlebar. Pull outward on the grip, pull the trigger of the air gun, and the air will sort of inflate the grip and you can pull it off an inch or so. Then put the nozzle back in place and repeat until the grip is off. You may need to use a thin tool like a small screwdriver to break the initial bond, depending on how the grip was mounted in the first place.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

just cut them both off and get new ones.There only 10 bucks

Comment

Got the bike home today and replaced the clutch lever with not too much problem. The grip came off pretty easily, all it took was a screwdriver, some WD-40 and a little twisting. Putting it back on was a little tougher. I cleaned off the inside of the grip and the handlebar with alcohol and dried it off. I had some Aqua Net hairspray in my garage left over from my spud gun, and sprayed it on the inside of the grip and the handlebar. Maybe it's just too cold, but it did a **** poor job of holding it on.

I was looking around for possibly adhesive materials, and the closest I came was spray paint. I'm still waiting for that to dry as we speak, but if that doesn't work, would you recommend something else?

Comment

I must acknowledge curiousity about grip glues.

Perhaps it is because of the type of grips I buy, but I have never used or needed the sticky stuff.

All I have ever done is put the new ones in hot water for a minute or longer to soften them, then push them onto the bars, wet.

They do not turn or twist loose, and it is not easy to pull them off, so there must be something to the compounds in other grips that causes the slippage.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
                    Got the bike home today and replaced the clutch lever with not too much problem. The grip came off pretty easily, all it took was a screwdriver, some WD-40 and a little twisting. Putting it back on was a little tougher. I cleaned off the inside of the grip and the handlebar with alcohol and dried it off. I had some Aqua Net hairspray in my garage left over from my spud gun, and sprayed it on the inside of the grip and the handlebar. Maybe it's just too cold, but it did a **** poor job of holding it on.

I was looking around for possibly adhesive materials, and the closest I came was spray paint. I'm still waiting for that to dry as we speak, but if that doesn't work, would you recommend something else?
                    When you put the grip on just spray a little inside the grip and push it on from the back of the grip.If you try to grab the grip and slide it on you will never get the job done because you are putting force on the rubber were it shouldnt be.When you push from behind it will cause a pocket of air in the grip and spread it out so it goes right on easily.I do all me grip for golf clubs like this as well.After you put it on DONT TOUCH IT till the next day.It will work,trust me.

Comment

The spray paint I used yesterday proved to have a strong hold. I tried twisting the grip to see how good it was on, and it didn't go anywhere!

Comment

Working...
                      X