Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Head Gasket. What else??

hello everyone,
    My head gasket is leaking on my '80 GS1100ET. I've already bought a gasket kit for the job. I have close to 40,000 miles and its a daily rider with no discernible loss in power.

What else can I expect to have to replace or fix while in there? Can I count on HAVING to replace certain items, such as the cam chain? Should I expect to have to hone the cylinders and replace rings? Right now I'm running on a tight budget and want to get out as cheap as possible, even if that means going back in in another year or so.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Originally posted by heyblue46 View Post
    hello everyone,
    My head gasket is leaking on my '80 GS1100ET. I've already bought a gasket kit for the job. I have close to 40,000 miles and its a daily rider with no discernible loss in power.

What else can I expect to have to replace or fix while in there? Can I count on HAVING to replace certain items, such as the cam chain? Should I expect to have to hone the cylinders and replace rings? Right now I'm running on a tight budget and want to get out as cheap as possible, even if that means going back in in another year or so.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve
    If cylinder compression is fine then you should have no other problems. The cam chain should last for another 40K miles.

Hap

Comment

I'd replace the cylinder head cover gasket and breather gasket as well.

Comment

blowing a gasket

how doo, ive just rebuilt my "et" after a rebore etc, my advice is that if it aint broke dont fix it, get a gasket for your engine but get a copper one as you can re-use them, you will need some copper sealant that you have to cover the whole gasket surface with, the gasket supplier should advise you what to buy, put it on quite thick around the cam chain tunnel as you will notice that your old gasket has an in built "o" ring around this area, the gasket and sealant is not to expensive and you may need a new rocker gasket, if you need any more help just email me and i will help as much as i can, good luck....

Comment

gasket probs

how doo, its me again, the sealant is called permatex ultra copper and its £7.00 and the head gasket was £32.00 and the rocker gasket was £12.00 and i used Debben performance in hampshire uk, the web site is excellent, hope this helps......

Comment

I guess to each his own, but I would at least hone the cylinders and put new rings in as long as you have it all apart. Also (just to be clear), if you replace the head gasket you'll need to replace the base gasket as well.

Be prepared though. When I pulled mine apart I started discovering things that I wish I hadn't known about. And its hard to put it back together without fixing it.

Comment

Valve guide seals.Also clean all of the carbon off of the valves and ports and lap the valves= cheap horsepower. Tony

Comment

Originally posted by minutemen View Post
                Valve guide seals.Also clean all of the carbon off of the valves and ports and lap the valves= cheap horsepower. Tony
                Lap the valves?? I've always worked on my cars and such but not a mechanic. I have no idea what this means.

Thanks,
                Steve

Comment

When you lap your valves you take a lapping compound which has abrasives in it. You apply a little to your valve and seat of the head and spin the valve with a dowel rod with a type of suction cup at the end that attaches to the flat side of your valve. This mates the valve and seat so they seat properly to get maximum compression. Suzuki does not recommend this because they say it removes the hardener on the valves and they will wear out quicker. If you do do it use a less abrasive compound and don't overwork the valve.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

[quote=mark;588406] Also (just to be clear), if you replace the head gasket you'll need to replace the base gasket as well.

Just learning here :-D ... Why do you need to do this?
                    Thanks for the education.

Comment

[quote=GregM.;588838]
                      Originally posted by mark View Post
                      Also (just to be clear), if you replace the head gasket you'll need to replace the base gasket as well.

Just learning here :-D ... Why do you need to do this?
                      Thanks for the education.
                      The cylinder head being bolted down also clamps the cylinder block, releasing the pressure by removing the cylinder head, almost always leads to leaks from the base gasket.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        When you lap your valves you take a lapping compound which has abrasives in it...
                        Geeze, you guys are too serious sometimes. Your perfect opportunity for a joke. Something about his tongue...

Comment

Thanks Dink :-D

I'm getting lots of good info from you today \\/

This site, and all you experienced m/c experts, are such a valuable RESOURCE !!

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                            Geeze, you guys are too serious sometimes. Your perfect opportunity for a joke. Something about his tongue...
                            And I usually don't miss these opportunities
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                              When I pulled mine apart I started discovering things that I wish I hadn't known about. And its hard to put it back together without fixing it.
                              How about sharing what you found--and what you did about it. Thanks

Tomcat

Comment

Working...
                              X