No announcement yet.

Replacing Head Gasket. What else??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to clarify, do you mean the valve cover gasket? It sits above the cylinders, at the very top of the engine. If that's what you're referring to, I'd suggest checking the valve clearances.

Brad bt
    Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2007, 10:32 PM.

Comment

IF.. you're going to have the head off to replace a gasket due to a leak, do yourself a small favor, and swing by a local automotive/bike machine shop and have them check the head surface for flatness and for cracks. Make sure the leaks aren't caused by a warped head or cracks in the aluminum casting.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat24551 View Post
        How about sharing what you found--and what you did about it. Thanks

Tomcat
        Well, the big thing I found was a deep scratch in one of the bores that was causing low compression in that cylinder. Rebore, oversized pistons and rings. $$ (parts on the way, can't bore until you have the pistons of course). Since I'm doing that, it makes no sense not to re-grind the values, get new seals etc. right? More $$. :-D

One of my cam covers (the one that actually holds the cam to the head) was held on by only three bolts...the other one was stripped. That will need a heli-coil. God help me if I screw that up.

Stripped cam chain tensioner bolt. Helicoil.

Head surface has some pitting....impossible to fix but far enough away from the bores that it won't hurt anything.

Side bolts that held the head to the block were the wrong ones without deep enough threads. New bolts.

I'll be glad when its done and glad I went through it, but its been a lot of work to fix a little leak..............

Comment

Think about cam chain guides. Check them close for wear. Replacement guides are available at www.vansantent.com for about 60 bucks for their premium hp model

Comment

Mark,
            You've never seen a U-haul/armored car following a hearse to the cemetary have you? You can't take it with you, so you may as well spend it here on something you enjoy A few engine improvements sounds to me like a sound financial investment in pleasure

Comment

Always good idea to re-seat (valve job) the valves when head is off if high mileage engine. Also have the machinests back cut the valves 37 degrees, easy and cheap mod but big flow improvment in low lift flow (torque). fresh rings and gaskets and you are good to go. Terry.
              1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Working...
              X