Problem starting in cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem starting in cold

I'm having trouble starting my 78 GS550E. It's been cold for at least a month, so I haven't been able to ride it. It's in storage, so any extensive work is a no-no. There's some Stabil in the tank from when I thought it would be freezing all winter long (I took it out a couple times.) I've tried the past few days to get it started, but I think it's too cold.

I've heard that my carbs might be dirty, so I went and bought some Seafoam. They don't give you the best directions, so after putting in the right amount, I tried cranking it until the battery ran out. My question is, if I use Seafoam, how long do I have to wait until it takes effect? I put it in the tank. They never make it clear if you have to put the choke on or off, how long to crank it, or whether to prime it or not. If I crank it too long, I get backfires out of the exhaust. That scares the bejesus out of me, so I'm reluctant to spray some starting fluid in.

Taking out the carbs is beyond my means now. What should I do?

I had the same problem last night, but I got too cold before the battery gave out. Cheapest solution is to get a can of starter fluid. Squirt it into the air box and try and get it to fire over. I found a can of some stuff that contains no Ether, so it's supposed to be easier on the soft parts. And make sure you're keeping your battery charged. Mine is currently hooked to a tender and it keeps the battery fresh.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
      I had the same problem last night, but I got too cold before the battery gave out. Cheapest solution is to get a can of starter fluid. Squirt it into the air box and try and get it to fire over. I found a can of some stuff that contains no Ether, so it's supposed to be easier on the soft parts. And make sure you're keeping your battery charged. Mine is currently hooked to a tender and it keeps the battery fresh.

Brad bt

My bike has pod filters instead of an airbox. With the starting fluid, do I spray that in each carb with the filters on or should I take them off?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
        My bike has pod filters instead of an airbox. With the starting fluid, do I spray that in each carb with the filters on or should I take them off?
        Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say you'd be okay to remove them until you get it running. I have the stock box and filter so this is an unknown for me. I would suggest you stop the engine once you can get it to run without the fluid and replace the pods.

Brad bt

Comment

I would think you would have to remove them because it makes more sense, but I'm just afraid of it backfiring. I was thinking spray some in each carb with filters off, then put the filters on and start. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Side question, how cold is too cold to try to start it? It was about 10 degrees when I tried.

Comment

Since your battery is flat, and you're in the Chicago area, the first thing to do is get that battery on a trickle charger before it freezes.

After that, and after the battery is at full charge, try the ether. (Or starting fluid... up 'till now, I thought the terms were synonymous).
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Give it up as a bad joke & move to Australia.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                (Or starting fluid... up 'till now, I thought the terms were synonymous).
                So did I until I bought a can of starting fluid from the local Ace Hardware. I went and grabbed the can from the garage. It's called "3-IN-ONE Professional". It claims to be an "advanced" engine starter and conditioner, providing lubrication while starting engines quickly and a "revolutionary" non-ether formula to reduce engine wear. No where does it say what it's chemicals are.

As for replacing the pods before starting, if you can do it quickly enough, then go for it. If you use ether-type starting fluid, it may evaporate before you get them back on.

Brad bt

Comment

If I were to spray it directly into the carbs, would I open up the throttle? Seems like if I sprayed the filters, they would catch fire if it backfired, but if not, the carbs would just suck the vapors of the starting fluid in.

Comment

You can just spray it on the filters...

They don't need to come off. It doesn't take much either, try blowing on those vent hoses first, it's better to just use gas. Full choke no throttle it should start if the rest is good.
                    But if you do use starting fluid, the ether passes through the filter as easily as air does.
                    It all evaporates away in a few seconds, it won't work if you don't start it right away after spraying it.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      They don't need to come off. It doesn't take much either, try blowing on those vent hoses first, it's better to just use gas. Full choke no throttle it should start if the rest is good.
                      But if you do use starting fluid, the ether passes through the filter as easily as air does.
                      It all evaporates away in a few seconds, it won't work if you don't start it right away after spraying it.

I've tried the vent hose trick with no success (it caused an exhaust baffle to blow out.) But I'll take the rest of your advice and try it tomorrow.

Comment

Okay, here's an update on my end. I went back out and with the air filter removed, sprayed the starter fluid into the carbs. The bike fired over (choke fully on) quickly and died. Repeated a couple more times until the bike was running. While it was running, I replaced the air filter and air box cover. After a minute or so I was able to push in the choke and it ran fine.

One thing that I should have mentioned however, I have a throttle lock which allows me to hold the throttle open. Now when I was first attemting to start the bike, I only had the choke on, but once it was running and everything was back together, I locked the throttle so the bike was around 2 grand. I then slowly pushed the choke in.

I think you'd be okay to get the bike running without the pods in place, but as I said before, once it's able to start/run without the starter fluid, shut it off and replace the pods. Then you can restart and let it warm up.

Brad bt

BTW, even though it's cold, remember to open the garage door. Asphixiation isn't fun.

Comment

So a big backfire????

(it caused an exhaust baffle to blow out.)
                          Sounds like you did a little too much blowing.

Sounds like way too much fuel got into the exhaust pipe.

My Dad exploded a car muffler that way once, kept cranking it too long when it was flooded. KABOOOMMMM!!!!!!!
                          It was loud. Woke up the whole neighborhood.

Good luck.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So I should have the throttle somewhat open when cranking?

As for the explosion, it scared me for a bit because I thought the engine was gonna explode. If brief flames come out of the exhaust pipe, is that relatively harmless for the rest of the bike?

Comment

So I should have the throttle somewhat open when cranking?
                              No, with the choke fully on, no throttle is necessary. I only used the throttle lock once the bike was running on it's own without any choke (a little blip on the throttle, but nothing sustained while choked). I did shut off the choke and open the throttle when I sprayed the starter fluid into the carbs, but this was before I started the bike. When I started the bike, the choke was on and the throttle was untouched.

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
                              X