Oil cooler Idea..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler Idea..?

I've got my 1100 engine apart at the moment and have been having a bit of a squizz at fitting an oil coler. There are two blanked off galleries marked OUT and IN that the origional cooler was plumbed into. They look like a bypass system where only some of the oil is diverted to the radiator. The outlet hole from the pump gallery (the one that stares at you when you remove the filter cover) is 15MM in Diamater. What would stop me blocking that or partially restricting it so that all or the majority of the oil is diverted through (a Cooler I will fit) and emptied into the filter chamber via the IN bolt.
    The problems I see at this stage are
    (1) the oil going into the cooler will be realtively un filtered though it will have been through the screen.
    (2) The flow through the cooler may be insufficient and the main delivery journal will be starved of a sufficient flow.

My initial intention is to fit a cooler (one from the wreckers) to the initial bypass system and then start fiddling.
    Any views..?

I have a Lockhart cooler on one my 11s. It has a replacement cover for the oil filter that plumb a line in the adapter directly from the round oil passage inside the filter cover to the cooler then back down to the cover where it dumps into the oil filter chamber. I've see coolers and adapters on e-bay from time to time with the going price around $30 plus shipping

Comment

On the stock cooler the flow is balanced so that it doesnt move thru the cooler too fast.

Too fast and it doesnt cool enough before being put back in the motor.

Also if you keep the motor too cool you'll shorten the life and never get full power.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McNaney View Post
        Also if you keep the motor too cool you'll shorten the life and never get full power.
        Hmm... i've been wanting to stick a cooler (filter cap adapter) on my 80' GS850... do you guys think this might be overkill/a bad idea?

Comment

Hmm thanks for that. I'm still warm on the Idea (hah, no pun intended) and have some more ideas spinning through my head. Does anyone know what the normal oil pressure is on an 1100..?

Comment

Hey look what I just found here http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/f...cooler.htm#tfb

Enjoy

Comment

The info on that link is right on.
              If you arent running hot after a modification of some sort, No cooler needed. You dont want to run too cool.
              I added a stock 1150 setup to my 1100E only because the new cams and the related power makes the motor real hot. Suprisingly, The temp stayed same as stock after the 1166 kit and bigger carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by terbang View Post

Enjoy
                That article is by a member, that is his site.

Dink

Comment

Tech transfer

I wonder how much of this info applies to my 1981 GS750L. The oil filter cover appears to be the same casting as the one pictured in the link. I am planning on installing a oil cooler on my bike and need the technical info to make a informed decision on type, size, etc. for the cooler I will use. I have a couple of coolers off ebay, one by derale, NIB, for all 1982 GS1100s except the L. It is model number S-4T. The instructions say for a GS1100L use the S-1T. This cooler is a full flow model with no bypass slot cut in the casting on the pressure side of the engine. The other cooler was purchased used, off ebay, from a GS750E. It has a slot cut in the casting for some sort of bypass function back into the crankcase on the pressure side. I would like to know which one would be the best to use. I really want to use the oil cooler I bought off ebay for a 1983 GS750E with one of the oil filter covers from the kits. What ever I decide, I'll probably post the remains on the GSR before ebay.
                  1981 GS750L (sold)
                  1981 GS750L (current)
                  1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
                  1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
                  1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
                  1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
                  1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
                  1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
                  1980 GS1100L (Janice)
                  Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
                  e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Working...
                  X