Help! Changing throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Changing throttle cable

I am trying to change the throttle cable on my 81 gs650g. It was a booger getting the barrel out of the receptacle on the carb end, but nothing compared to what I am going through trying to put the new one in! Is it even physically possible to do this with the carbs on the bike? The barrel of the cable end fouls on the rubber intake boot no matter what I've tried so far and I've poked all kinds of tools down in there trying to manipulate that barrel in the very tight quarters. I'm hoping someone has some trick process because I've wasted two hours so far and don't feel any closer to getting this little monster in..........I've already removed the clamp that holds the cable at the bottom to get that out of the way, and am holding the throttle in the up position by jamming a screwdriver in the mechanism nearby.

Take all the bolts holding the airbox out.
    Disconnect the breather hose that attaches to the cylinder head. (don't disconnect it at the airbox)
    Loosen all the carb boot clamps on the engine side.
    Straddle the bike and slide the carbs back. You will have to twist and wrestle with them a bit.
    At best, the whole assembly. airbox, carbs and all, will move back maybe 1/2 of an inch.
    Thats just enough to get that cable barrel back on the linkage.

Comment

As a side note, use a screwdriver to prop the throttle linkage up, in the wide open position and if you have not already removed the fuel tank, I would suggest doing so. Pull as much slack down on the new cable as you can and with a needle nose, clamp on to the new cable about 1 inch above the lead cap and push it forward, towards the engine to allow it to slip around the curved cable guide and pop into place in the linkage. Not sure if I explained this right, but you'll get the idea when you try it. :?

Comment

It's doable even for a newb...I did it last weekend on my 81 550L (NO room on that one). We worked at it for about 45min and finally got it in at WOT position. It was nice having 4 hands to work with. Next time I do it before I lock the carbs in.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
          Take all the bolts holding the airbox out.
          Disconnect the breather hose that attaches to the cylinder head. (don't disconnect it at the airbox)
          Loosen all the carb boot clamps on the engine side.
          Straddle the bike and slide the carbs back. You will have to twist and wrestle with them a bit.
          At best, the whole assembly. airbox, carbs and all, will move back maybe 1/2 of an inch.
          Thats just enough to get that cable barrel back on the linkage.
          Oh, good! I'm sure I'll need to have this bit o' info shortly! And maybe your help...8-[

Comment

Working...
          X