Fuel gauge dismantlage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge dismantlage

Have any of you lot taken the fuel gauge mechanism out of a GS450 (or any GS with fuel gauge I guess)?

Mine constantly reads empty, but I have checked that the system works electrically, so the problem is definitely in the sensor unit itself. This combined with the fact that there is something floating about in my tank (clunks if I wobble the bike side to side), I am pretty sure the mechanism has come apart.

I want to open it up and see if i can repair it, but am a bit worried about doing so, because if I bugger it up spares will be difficult to find. Is the mechanism pretty simple, and is the fuel gauge mechasism gasket-less? I don't want to be stuck without a bike if I can't re-assemble it.

Thanks

Here ya go...Jethro has a good write-up with pics.

Comment

Excellent info, many thanks.

Comment

Floater Disassembly

I followed these instructions and they worked perfectly.. as does my gas guage and several other items for some odd reason. The only difference I found on my 1983 650-X is that the sensor was held in the tank with two screws I found once I pulled the cover plate off and was at the point where the open tank was there. Other than that, this worked very well.

To assure that the sender was working I hooked it up on the bike and turned on the bike on the first key spot of on, and watched the guage while I moved the sender. This also let me be sure the upper and lower limits were set.

No Guarantees it will work forever, but it seems good to me!

Comment

Working...
        X