Dyna S failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S failures

I heard that there has been a problem with Dyna S failures. Does anyone know any particulars? It always seemed that the S would be more prone to failure, since it is entirely within the points cover, unlike the Dyna III, which has most of the electronics in a separate module that could be mounted where it could be cooled more effectively.
    1979 GS 1000

My Dyna S blew out a few weeks ago (the trigger for 1&4 suddenly died) but Dynatek's warranty support is rock-solid. I called, got an RMA and sent it via Priority Mail. I had a replacement within 5 days and it functions perfectly. They're only $150 so I'm going to order a backup unit just in case. A friend of mine has had one for years and it never gave him any problems. Apparently I just got a hold of one from a bad batch. All the same, I'd never go back to stock ignition!
    1981 GS750L
    1979 GS1000L

Comment

I've really only heard good things about the S on this forum, at least in comparison to the stock ignition! Never had trouble with mine, although I've only had it 6mo.

Comment

I've installed a dozen Dyna S ignitions on different bikes. Never had the first problem with any of them.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

More info on Dyna S

On another MC website, I read that the older Ss had an aluminum backing plate, and the newer ones a bakelite one, which can crack in the heat of summer, but that's heresay. I ask, because I just bought a 1979 GS 1000 that already has an S installed, and I had already bought a Dyna III to install on my 1978 GS 750, but haven't done so yet, so I have a choice of which to install. I'm looking for increased performance AND stone-club reliability, so the durability is paramount.
          1979 GS 1000

Comment

Dyna S
            Installed 22 years ago
            Never a problem
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Generally the Dyna-S igntions are reliable. For a brief period, Dynatek had some problems with sensor alignment in some of the units - making it difficult to time.

We have sold hundreds (probably thousands) of the Dyna-S units. There have been a hadful of failures - a few failed out of the box, a few were 'spiked' by suspect charging systems (see below), and some just died. Generally very low failure rates.

I know for sure a few of the failures were caused by bad regulators on the older bikes. When the old style regulators fail, this usually results in an increase voltage flowing through the harness - often as much as 17 or 18 volts.

I would recommend checking charging systems prior to installing an electronic ignition - it's a simple test to put a test meter across the battery terminals and bring the rpm up to 4,000 or 5,000 - the voltage should plateau around 14.5 volts - 15.0 volts when the regulator trims excess voltage.

Comment

Jeff, that's excellent advice!

I've already done the Electrex r/r conversion, with all three phases hard-wired(no bullet connectors) and the hot and ground hard-wired directly to the battery, but it makes sense to check reg operation. Do you know if the story about changing from an aluminum backing plate to bakelite is true, or just a story. I haven't looked at the Dyna S installed on my GS 1000 (the PO did this upgrade) to see if the newer ones are indeed different than the older ones.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

I'm not sure about the backing plate material. We've only carried Dyna-S ignitions for about 3 years - during that time the backing plate has not changed.

Comment

I think I'll stay with the S

Since so many of you seem to have had good results with the S, I think I'll stick with it, rather than change over to the DYNA III. Thanks for all the good advice.
                    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Dyna coils

fitted Dyna coils & ignition to my Gs1000s about 4 yrs ago
                      no problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        I've installed a dozen Dyna S ignitions on different bikes. Never had the first problem with any of them.

Earl
                        you could save money if just installed one per bike :-D :-D

Comment

Originally posted by skip View Post
                          you could save money if just installed one per bike :-D :-D

Must be my more is always better philosophy. :-)

E.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Just wanted to chime in on my Dyna S experience. I've had one in my GS750 for 10 years and it's the one thing I never have to worry about. It's on an aluminum plate too.

Sure beats points! I almost gave away my tach/dwell meter last fall, but you never know... 8-[

J
                            16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                            13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                            78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                            Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                            02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                            12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                            82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Dynatek has a discount replacement program

FYI. I removed the Dyna III from my recently acquired KZ1000 knowing full well it was fried. I contacted Dyna because they will check the unit for you at no cost and they have a discount replacement program for people with fried ignitions.

They called to tell me it was "faulty" and that I may purchase a Dyna S for $69.00. Brand new, not a refurb. I gladly accepted their offer and now I have a replacement coming for half the cost of retail. A new (aftermarket) points plate and setup for the Kaw runs $45 anyway and who wants to mess with points?
                              J
                              16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                              13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                              78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                              Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                              02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
                              X