Front sprocket area gunk removal tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front sprocket area gunk removal tips?

Finally managed to get the front sprocket removed tonight on the GS1000 with the aid of a 1/2" rattle gun. There's about 27 years worth of caked on road grime, gunk, and chain lube sitting in that area. Any tips on cleaning techniques/tools/chemicals that would get that area back to a lustrous shine? Thanks in advance.

As it is right now (:shock:

Lol I just did that tonight... my whole body is covered in soot. I tried cleaning the cover with warm water and soap... simply made a mess. I ended up cleaning it with gasoline, a tooth brush and an old rag. I still have to finish off the sprocket area... tried it with the toothbrush but gave up at dinner time, should get back to it tomorrow. Any tips would also be great.

Comment

Just about any solvent should work. Gasoline, kerosene, engine degreaser, Simple Green, maybe even carb cleaner spray. With the amount of gunk that you have, apply your sovent of choice, wait a while, use a brush on it, apply more solvent. Will take several applications, but the results will be worth it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Too funny PJ, looks like a bunch of us are at the same point in the project. I just replaced my chain and sprockets. Front sprocket area was a mess. Looked just like yours, actually.

So here's an after shot for you.

Scrape most of the thick stuff off with a screw driver. Then kerosene and a lot of acid brushes to do the details.

Comment

Tom-

That picture is major incentive. Thanks for the motivation.

Comment

Just slap the polished sprocket cover back on and forget about it*
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Just slap the polished sprocket cover back on and forget about it*

That would be the easiest way:shock: \\/ :-D
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
              X