Need Help with parts ID for 83 GS 750 E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with parts ID for 83 GS 750 E

Hello, I am new to this board and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I just purchased an 83 GS 750 E (D?) It is missing the gauge cluster, and I dont know what it looks like. Could someone tell me if this is the right one on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ADME:X:ON:US:2
    Or if anyone has the right one, please email me at no1monte@aol.com

Thank you

If you check on http://www.bikebandit.com The gauges look to be from an 83 model, so they should fit. an 82 looks different than those shown on ebay, seller may have miss listed them?

Comment

It's not the right guage set. The '83 speedometer goes to 160 I think. I don't have my stock guages so moto_dan or Simon Waters could tell you for sure.

Comment

stlincoln:

Billy is right, that is not the right gauge cluster......totally different arrangement and shape. Although I'm not totally sure of this, I believe pre-1983 GS750's used a mechanical tachometer (rev counter), the 1983 GS750E(D) uses an electronic tach. Mounting points would probably also be different.

Again I am not sure of this, but I think an instrument pod from the GS700E/ES (made until 1985) would be compatible with the 1983 model. The Canadian equivalents would also be compatible but I believe the speedo is in kms, not mph.

BTW, there were two "sporting" GS750's in 1983, which were almost identical: the GS750E had a small 1/4 fairing and slightly higher handlebars, the GS750ES had a 1/2 fairing and lower bars. Everything else, except the color scheme, should be the same between the 2 bikes, including the instrument assembly. Also, the "D" refers to model year, so your 1983 model is a GS750E(D).

Instrument clusters are hard to find for this model but patience will probably yield one on the internet eventually. Good luck.

Comment

Take a look at all the '85 700s in the gallery and you can get an idea of what they looked like. All the idiot lights and guages are under the same piece of glass. It is almost square shaped but the top of the guage is narrower than the bottom.

Comment

Strangely enough, I have found a photo of my instrument pod (while riding! 8O ) in my files. If you have no idea what the item looks like, I can scan it and send it to you if you'll send me your e-mail address by PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. If I cannot find the correct cluster for the bike, is there a way to put some kind of custom cluster instead of the stock one?

Comment

That is not the correct inst. cluster for an 83 750 ED.

Comment

This is the correct cluster for an 83 GS 750E:

Comment

Working...
                  X