newbie needs help with wrecked 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie needs help with wrecked 850

hello all, this is my first post, but about my 1000th vistit to forum. First a little history, I accuired my 80 model GS850L from a friend of a friend for $50, clear title- as is deal. Well, the deal is, is it was in a little accident (rear ended a jeep at the beach) and bent the handle bars, took out the tach,head light,gear indicators and some how broke the head light off-on-high beam switch.With a lot of help from the GS Resources (you guys) and E-bay i have almost put her all back together for so far, under $500. The one thing i haven't been able to locate is a good source for the handlebar controls.I have seen a few on E-bay but none seem to be like the ones i have, and bike bandit diagrams only show the back side of the controls. The controls on my bike have the horn and blinkers on the left side and the kill, start, and headlight control on the right. Are these an odd set up? Thanks in advance for any information or leads!

Both of my bikes have a switch that moves left to right for turn and an up and down movement for high beams. So, that makes it a single switch on the left hand side. If you are able to wire the bike on your own some of the newer switches have interesting options like headlight horns, push button signal cancellers, and 4 way flashers. A matching set would be best so that the mirror mounts are the same (if they come as part of them).

Steve

Comment

Sounds odd, I don't think I've ever seen any headlight control, off/on nor high/low, on the right side. But I've never owned an "L" model. Kill switch & start should be on the right, high/low beam, L/R turn, & horn on left.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
        Sounds odd, I don't think I've ever seen any headlight control, off/on nor high/low, on the right side. But I've never owned an "L" model. Kill switch & start should be on the right, high/low beam, L/R turn, & horn on left.
        It's true though. I had an 81 GS850GT, with a light switch (off-park-on) on the right side.
        Turn signal and headlight high/low beam were combined in one switch on the left.

Comment

Thanks for the info, just as i thought it is a strange set up with the kill switch on top and just under the cruise control bracket is the off-low-high beam switch then the start button all in one unit on the right handle bar sounds like a little rewiring is in the future. thanks again!

Comment

If you still have problem with finding stock handlebar controls, you can find universal controls/switches on the Dennis Kirk site/catalogue.
            Oh and welcome to the fun!
            GY

Comment

Hey lightning,

Do these look familiar? They are off the '80 GS1000 and are not going back on. The throttle was whacked but still works. The left switch is fine.

Steve

Comment

hi wheelie, Your gs1000 had the same control set up and you say you aren't going to put them back on? Would you be willing to part with them? If so pm or email me, maybe we could make a deal. thanks!

Comment

I have an '83 850 L. The high-low beam sitch is on the left with the turn signals. On the right is the kill switch and starter button.

Comment

Working...
                  X