stripped air mixture screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped air mixture screws

ok .so, rebuilding carbs soon to synch and now having a problem with two of four mixture screws being stripped. not really sure how to remove them besides drilling out head and letting everything fall out. any suggestions seeing as ive already got glue and putty holding things together ,this bad boy is as rat as they come

I'm a do it your selfer but I wish I wouldn't of tried to drill out mine cause I ruined the carb body. I wish I'd of taken it to a machine shop where they'd of had it out in 10 minutes.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Are the threads stripped or the screw heads are so badly dinged-up that you can't turn them?
      If it's just the heads that are badly dinged-up I would try a small left-hand bit in a variable speed hand drill (Yes, I did say left-hand bit, they're available and work well when removing screws that are screwed-up). Once removed it may be possible to clean the heads up with afile and recut the slots.
      If the threads are buggered .....that's a whole different ball game as the carb body may be screwed (pun intended:-D )

Comment

Using a left handed drill +1 thats the way to go. It may even un screw itself. DO NOT USE conventional drill bits as it will force the screw in further when it starts to turn causing damage

Comment

just heads

yea its just the head so the left hand bit sounds good are we talking about like an extractor bit or something of the sort???

Comment

Nope, there are left hand twist bits and they are great for drilling the holes prior to using a screw-extractor. The left hand bit imposes counter-clockwise torque on the screw when making the hole. This counter-clockwise torque, plus all that vibration and heat generated from the drilling process helps loosen the screw. In most cases the bit's bite is strong enough to unscrew the stuck bolt or threaded part. Make sure you use lots of penetrating oil also, I like Liquid Wrench.
            I believe you can find left-hand twist bits at McMaster, Grainger, Harbor Freight, Enco and Grizzly

Comment

I removed a couple of stripped air screws by hand turning with the smallest extractor in a kit by Vermont Amercian after making holes with a carbide drill bit slightly bigger than the tip of the extractor in diameter.

Be careful. Brass is soft.

Comment

yea so i got an left handed bit slightly smaller than the hole bc of fear of tearing things up(like i usually do) but it doesnt do jack doesnt even penetrate the head and these things arent brass they are replacements and im not sure what they are

Comment

They are brass, some are coated & look like steel. DON'T drill more than 1/4" down. I have at times use a large bit that just fits into the recess to get a starting center hole, drill just enough for the drill point to fit into

Comment

at a loss

im out of ideas ive drilled and sprayed and loosened and drilled and sprayed and loosened but these things wont move at all . im new to this area and im not sure if theres any machine shops around..although maybe i could take them up to my school ( motorcycle mechanics institute) and get them to remove them after all they are getting 20k from me

Comment

Working...
                    X