More help with the 81 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More help with the 81 GS550

I finally got the bike to idle half way decently and it runs. The problem now is the top end is VERY weak. I rode my brother's 78 GS400 and it feels like a rocket compared to my bike! It seems to pull a ok to begin with but there is nothing at higher revs. I struggled getting it up to highway speeds and had to have it at WOT to keep them there. I had trouble keeping up with highway traffic. It almost seems to lurch a little at the higher speeds...like it goes for just a split second then weakens. It could be that I am looking too hard for something, but that is what it feels like.

Here is a quick recap of the major stuff I've done:
    - carb rebuild
    - new petcock on the way
    - plugged vaccum line from #2 until I get the new petcock
    - new battery

Any ideas??

I forgot to mention, the air screws are at 1.5 turns out. I have the origional main jets in. I was running 89oct fuel.

Comment

So if you blocked the vacuum line to petcock how are you getting fuel to the carbs? Is the original airbox and filter in place?

Comment

I thought someone would ask that...sorry I should have included that I have it running on "Prime".

Yes, the original airbox/filter are in place. I had removed them to clean the foam element. I oiled the element and put it all back together.

Comment

Sounds like the bike is not firing all cylinders. Do all the pipes get hot when you run the bike? What did you do when you say you "carb rebuild"? New plugs? Assuming the carbs are okay, sounds like an ignition problem.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Check fuel flow and slide diaphragms for proper installation and pinholes.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I followed the carb rebuild on the main page pretty much to the letter. I got rebuild kits from oldbikebarn.com (the most expensive ones).

I have new plugs, but I didn't use them. The old ones look ok accept they are a little ashen white. I will try new plugs next time.

All 4 pipes were warm (some hotter than others) and I didn't hear anything that suggested I was a cylinder down. I'm new at this though, so I will double check that as well. I will be able to give you a better description tomorrow.

I talked to a guy today who said I may need to adjust a clip in the slide. He said it is right underneath the spring that is under the top cover of the carbs. He said it would richen it up if I adjusted the clip up one notch since the needle would then be higher...what do you think? I never noticed a clip or any kind of adjustment in the slide.

I have fuel getting to the carbs. I can ride the bike just fine. The problem is that it is sluggish, especially at high revs and past 1/4 throttle (when it's not supposed to be!). I looked at the diaphrams when I had the carbs apart and they were supple with no cracks or holes. I will pull them tomorrow and look again.

I feel like it just won't go, like I'm driving a 50cc machine with a speed govenor set at 60. Throttle response is low under load, especially if the faster I am going.

Comment

81 GS550 has CV carbs which means no adjustable needles. Some people mess around with needle shims but that's a story for another day - your bikes problem has nothing to do with needle adjustment.

I really don't have any good suggestions. Poor high speed performance typically has something to do with fuel supply (float bowls not filling properly or clogged jets) or with ignition issues. First thing is to install those new plugs and make sure everything is firing properly. One other last thought relates to plugged exhaust pipes. Rust destroying the baffle which then blocks the outlet is a long shot but a possiability. Not sure how to check it though.

Good luck.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Do a search on plug chops. When you put the new plugs in you will want to start right off doing them. That will tell you whether it is ignition problem (plugs will be black from being too rich) or fuel issue (white plugs from too lean). Then you can actually find the problem instead of just throwing stuff at it hoping it helps.

Good Luck,

Torry

Comment

Thanks, I'll take a look. I did pull #1 and #4 already and they were light gray-white. I'll check out plug chops.

Comment

I bet your fuel float bowls aren't filling fast enough to keep up with the high demand for fuel... That's why your plugs are white, as you're running lean.
                      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

How do I fix that?

I pulled the carbs today and the other plugs (both of which were white). I am going to rip the carbs apart again and see what I can find. Any suggestions as to what/where to look?

Comment

Yeah, fix that petcock. :-)
                          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Yeah I'm still waiting on the petcock from flatoutcycles. I'll hav ethat in as soon as I get it.

Comment

go back through the carbs, check the little screens on the float needles to make sure they are not blocked with crud, some applies to the rest of the carb parts.

did your rebuild kits come with replacement orings? did you replace the o rings in the air/fuel mix screws? are you intake boots old and cracked, the 550 ones love to leak if they are cracked. did you replace the orings behind the intake boots? is the #2 carb vacume port sealed to not allow air to be drawn in? air will get drawn in if your petcock is shot. are you float hieghts right?
                              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                              82 Kat 1000 Project
                              05 CRF450x
                              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                              X