No announcement yet.

OK, tell me what I did wrong here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe its not my head gasket at all. Now that I keep seeing posts about the valve cover gaskets leaking like crazy, I wonder if I'm just seeing that leaking all over my head , running down the front and getting caught between the fins at the head gasket. I know the VC gasket leaks, but was ignoring it for now as I was concerned with my head gasket. I keep reading posts about silicone VC gaskets and think I will try one before ripping the head back off the bike. Anyway, just another thought on this.

Comment

From what I've read, the MLS gaskets might be worse unless a machine shop verifies that the surfaces are very flat and very smooth. MLS gaskets were designed to fix a problem that shouldn't exist in an aluminum engine.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

It IS the head gasket

I found my leak. I cleaned off the bike then took it for a hell of a ride and looked at it while running to find this image. I see little bubbles leaving the head gasket from the interface between the gasket and the head right at the forward, starboard head bolt. Take a look. I'll replace the gasket when I buy a house and get a shop of my own... hopefully the end of this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by bucketsofgs1000 View Post
          I found my leak. I cleaned off the bike then took it for a hell of a ride and looked at it while running to find this image. I see little bubbles leaving the head gasket from the interface between the gasket and the head right at the forward, starboard head bolt. Take a look. I'll replace the gasket when I buy a house and get a shop of my own... hopefully the end of this summer.
          That is where they all leak,mine is leaking there,thats why i have it torn apart.I am using a vesrah gasket on everyones recommendation.I understand the torqueing,warm up cool down and retorue the next day concept.it may be why we all have releaks after doing all the work anywhere from 800 miles to 2 years later.I am going to follow this advice this time.Also,if you pull the head,pull the block and replace that gasket also.If you already know this i apologize.Ron b
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Mine was leaking at the same point (at least I assume it was, my left jeans leg was getting oil stained). I have the motor torn down to the crank case at the moment and have all of the parts that I can off to the powder coaters. I plan to have a completely black motor when I get it back together.

Comment

My GS1000E started leaking from the left front cylinder head bolt position last year. Local dealer said to leave it alone as the compression was OK. Bike runs fine just loses a little oil. I can also see bubbles coming from the gasket and I haven't put a spanner to the cylinder head in anger (yet) since I bought her 2years ago!

I have more problems with the cam chain tensioner gasket sealing. It leaks and runs down between the barrels and through to the front of the engine making it look like the base gasket/head gasket has gone.

When I rebuilt the GS(X)1100ESD I had one of those multi layered silver gaskets direct from Suzuki. Fitted to the bike and 1000 miles later no problems. Just can't get the 4 bolts on the cylinder head holding the cam followers bars in to seal.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
              1983 GS(X)1100ESD
              2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                My GS1000E started leaking from the left front cylinder head bolt position last year. Local dealer said to leave it alone as the compression was OK. Bike runs fine just loses a little oil. I can also see bubbles coming from the gasket and I haven't put a spanner to the cylinder head in anger (yet) since I bought her 2years ago!

I have more problems with the cam chain tensioner gasket sealing. It leaks and runs down between the barrels and through to the front of the engine making it look like the base gasket/head gasket has gone.

When I rebuilt the GS(X)1100ESD I had one of those multi layered silver gaskets direct from Suzuki. Fitted to the bike and 1000 miles later no problems. Just can't get the 4 bolts on the cylinder head holding the cam followers bars in to seal.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
                1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                2002 GSF1200K1
                You know,this is a recurring problem.I wish someone here knew how to solve it.Perhaps these heads are like disposeable,once they come off they arent useable again.Unless they get milled or something.I sure hope not.
                future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
                X