Adjust the cams !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjust the cams !

Some people says that you can get more power out of your engine if you adjust the cam angels right, but is this thrue, aint you just moving the point of max power up or down in rpm`s ???
    Or, if there will be more power, do somone now how mush more power you can expect.

Best regards
    KnutK

Re: Adjust the cams !

Originally posted by GS1100 Norway
    Some people says that you can get more power out of your engine if you adjust the cam angels right, but is this thrue, aint you just moving the point of max power up or down in rpm`s ???
    Or, if there will be more power, do somone now how mush more power you can expect.

Best regards
    KnutK
    how to do it http://www.thedirtforum.com/degree.htm

A quote

WHY DEGREE-IN YOUR CAM
    The purpose of degreeing a cam is to insure that the cam is phased correctly with the crankshaft, per the cam manufacturers? specifications. Some factors that may cause improper phasing are:

1. Cam or crank gears are incorrectly marked.

2. Keyways are out of position on gears.

3. Keyway in the crankshaft is misindexed.

4. Cam dowel pin or keyway is misindexed.

It is the exception, rather than the rule, that a cam may be out of phase, but this should be established to insure an accurate performance baseline or point of tune.

Here is a thread from a diferent website on the subject

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ONE MORE ARTICLE

Comment

I think I remember all the #'s. The best I can remember my "80" GS 1100 E factory specs were 107 degree lobe center for intake, and 109 degree lobe center for the exaust. When the 1000 cc Katana came out in "82" the lobe centers for it was 102 in. & 104 ex. I changed mine to these new specs, and could feel the difference immediately. Finally after trying several different combinations, setteled for 99 intake & 103 ex. (all stock except "82" Gs1100 ex. cam, V&H 4 into 1, and bigger main & pilot jets). Big difference in torque, no access to a dyno, not sure of horse power change. but the bike really pulled a lot harder at lower rpm, Before the change, when steert drag racing, I shifted at about 9200 or 9300 rpm for best results, after chnge The best results came while shifting at about 8800 rpm. After these changes, I abused my engine less with lower rpm and was out running bikes that had been beating me. Also 5th gear felt like 4th. I thought I must be dreaming, till I noticed myself pulling up on the shifter while just cruising down the road, just to be sure I was in 5th. I've always liked torque, that's why I now have 2 GS 1150's and a GS 1100 E. Go for it, I think you will like it

Comment

When you put your bike on a dyno you get a reading of its torque, the hp is calculated and plotted.
        Adjusting your cams move the torque up and down in the rpm range.
        High numbers move the torque up in the range, providing peak horsepower at high rpms.
        Low numbers puts the torque low in the range, you get that seat of the pant feeling of a locomotive pulling you away from the starting line.
        There's only a couple of hp:s to be gained by degreeing your cams, but with some experimenting you can get the torque where you want it and a motor that behaves the way you want it to.
        Remember to check piston/valve clearance if you try some extreme numbers ! Especially on a high comp motor.

Comment

Originally posted by biker66
          When you put your bike on a dyno you get a reading of its torque, the hp is calculated and plotted.
          Adjusting your cams move the torque up and down in the rpm range.
          High numbers move the torque up in the range, providing peak horsepower at high rpms.
          Low numbers puts the torque low in the range, you get that seat of the pant feeling of a locomotive pulling you away from the starting line.
          There's only a couple of hp:s to be gained by degreeing your cams, but with some experimenting you can get the torque where you want it and a motor that behaves the way you want it to.
          Remember to check piston/valve clearance if you try some extreme numbers ! Especially on a high comp motor.
          Peter does this mean that i can basicly do the same thing by experimenting with countershaft and rear wheel sprockets??
          I alse thought that the degreeing could compensate for assembly line error that made the final prodict somewhat diferent from what the engineers wished the cam timing to be??

Comment

Dom you are correct I have spoken to a number of mechanics and they have had bikes with the cam timing out by upto 30 degrees, obviously just setting them to the correct stock position will increase power and torque.
            Then you have the adjustability to move the power curve around to where it is best suited to your needs.
            The GS series engines are reputed in Australia to really respond to cam degreeing as Suzuki were unreliable in the stock cam timing.
            Dink
            BTW the bike that was 30 degrees out was a GS.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
              Dom you are correct I have spoken to a number of mechanics and they have had bikes with the cam timing out by upto 30 degrees, obviously just setting them to the correct stock position will increase power and torque.
              Then you have the adjustability to move the power curve around to where it is best suited to your needs.
              The GS series engines are reputed in Australia to really respond to cam degreeing as Suzuki were unreliable in the stock cam timing.
              Dink
              BTW the bike that was 30 degrees out was a GS.
              OK Duncan

Comment

Working...
              X