new need some gs1100 info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new need some gs1100 info

i just bought a 81 gs1100ex and it has about 25,000 miles on it and runs good and everything, but iam concerned with the transmission, how tough is the tranny can it take some abuse, and also when iam cruising in 5th it makes a little gear wine noise but all the rest are quiet is that something to worry about, i just wanna know about the tranny and some of the common failure items and such, thanks for the info

Trans is pretty tough as far as a stock or near stock motor is concerned. If the bike was abused by excessive no clutch power shifts and sticky tires then maybe you are looking at problems. The biggest area of concern to me would be the clutch basket. They are known to be the weak link. Backing plate springs sag, The clutch plates eat into the hubs and create chatter and grabby clutch engagement. Heavy abuse can even shear off the steel rivets that hold the backing plate to the hub. But all in all most GS11's will run for years with the stock basket. You really have to pound on them to get them to fail. The trans problems that pop up are generally related to drag racing them. Hard shifting and popping out of gear are indications of abuse. I've dumped the clutch and watched the countershaft with sprocket attached go speeding out from under my turbo bike. Then there is the 1100 that I use as a spare ride at the track. Owned it since 1980, and have made over 1200 passes on the stock clutch basket, trans, and unwelded crank. The trick is running hard compound street tire so that it spins and using the clutch on upshifts. Pretty basic stuff will make them live. As far as the noise in 5th gear, mine are pretty quiet. The only time I car remember it making noise is when the chain was shot and when the oil levels get way low

Comment

is there a place you can get tougher tranny parts, is there any parts you can swap from newer gs or gsx bikes that are better then what i have, like trans parts, brakes, carbs etc? and are gs1100 motors all the same and what year are they different

Comment

Basically, all the 16 v GS 1100 engines are the same. Mid 82 thru 83's have crank journals welded, with the exception of the journal at the primary gear. The tapered end of the cranks changed, I think 2 times, which in turn make them use a different rotor. All the 1100's have 3 angle valve seats, but the angles were changed a time or two. Slightly larger ex. cam for 82 & 83. Different bolt pattern for cam cover, for 82 & 83. 83 engines are black instead of silver. No chronic trans. problems, but like said before, a lot of abuse could cause transmission to sometimes jump out of gear, or possibly jump from one gear to another. I had one that got bad about that, but had suffered a lot of abuse for about 40,000 mi. If yours jumps out a lot, undercut gears are available. Clutch basket would be the first thing to worry about, several options available. Never remember hearing any whine from any 1100 tras.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

so mid 82 83 motors are better, more power and stronger??

Comment

1150s are the hot ticket. pinned cranks larger displacement. Better head.
            As far as tougher trans parts APE or orient express will sell you all the pieces you need, If you want used, check VanSant racing's web site or
            dragbike.com from time to time.
            For upgrades to your bike in general, just keep an eye on GSR and check the old threads. Lots of info by people that have been riding and racing gs 4 valves for a long time

Comment

On my 1100 the clutch hub was junk after 20,000 miles. The tranny is fine. Send out your clutch hub to ape, Falicon or Vance and Hines or keep an eye on Ebay (what I did)
              Excessive noise? Check your sprockets and chain.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

it only makes the noise when iam in 5th gear from 40 to 60 mph and when i give it gas in 5th gear, put the gear under load, all the rest of them are quiet . so i dont know i was think 5th gear was abused and is starting to get worn out but i dont know anything about these bikes yet.

Comment

5th gear whine

Kurt my 1000 kat is making this same noise did you ever figure out what was causing your noise

Rich

Comment

Had the same whining problem with my 1983 GS(X)1100ESD in 2005. Would only make it in 5th gear and when I had the throttle on, it decreased when I shut the throttle. I did have other problems with the engine (it used a lot of oil, worn out cams and followers, 1170 wiseco big bore kit, lower on power and compression etc)

Pulled the engine apart to find that both 5ths and 2nds had small pits in the teeth on both input and drive shafts.

Replaced the parts and rebuilt the engine it's all quiet now. I found from the local major Suzuki spares dealer here in the UK that there was a fault with some of the casting for the 2nd and 5th gears and some do fail. It won't explode or fall apart on you just get noisier with time.

The superceeded parts now have a coating on them to help solve this problem.

If i could get the file under the site limit I would post it to show you.

Suzuki mad
                    1981 GS1000ET
                    1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                    2002 GSF1200K1
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2007, 11:57 AM. Reason: spell`chucker's gon rong

Comment

Sussed it.

Suzuki mad
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2007, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X