Air Box modification hints? HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Box modification hints? HELP!!!

I opened up my air box today to oil up the new filter I made and looked into the upper plenum and noticed that the air horns didn't look quite right. When a few weeks ago I was first trying to start this bike I used a lot of starting fluid and had a bit of an ether fire in the air box. (oops) There is a picture of the air horns off the air box, you can see that they are all a bit misshapen, one almost totally occludes the air passage. How detrimental to performance and tuning do you think it would be to just cut off these horns just inside the air box. Would shortening the tube and eliminating the bells be real bad? or would it work out fine? If I need new air horns, do you have any?

Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.

These are very important, if they don't seal properly, unfiltered air will get into the engine. NOT GOOD. You need to find some good ones

Comment

Ouch.......Those are ugly. I bought new ones on bike bandit for quite cheap (compared to other sources). Can't remember the exact price but I think they were 12 or 13 bucks each.

Comment

Those things are cactus. It is not only the seal that is important, it is also the particular airflow that they encourage that is important.

It's time to replace the damage.

Kim

Comment

Bob, its not good if those horns leak. Also, the horns are tuned induction velocity stacks. They provide an optimum velocity for the design powerband. Changing the horn length, the flare ratio, the lip radius or increasing or decreasing diameter WILL change the powerband characteristics. Basically, shortening the horns will move the powerband to a higher rpm and most likely will decrease power output at lower rpms.
          I would replace the horns.

If youre skilled with fiberglass and mouldmaking, you could make your own if you have one good example to mold from.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
          X