GS 450l starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450l starter problems

I just installed new brushes and reinstalled the starter.
    It sounds like it is running but if does not engage the gears that turn the engine over.

is there somthing i need to do to make the starter engage the "flywheel".

the starter seems to be strong.

really frustrated.

Rick
    Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2007, 11:03 AM.

I had an occassion on my 82 1100G when the bolts broke on the rotor the starter drive/clutch is fixed to at the fly wheel. I asumed it was a starter issue only to disocover this other matter. The rotor is the maget that spins around the stator. The fix was cheap but it required renting a tool for 14.00 to pull the rotor.

Comment

starter issue

I had the starter tested at a shop and it is fine, reinstalled and still nothing.

I will crack the case and se whats up there,
      I can turn the fly wheel with my fingers one way and there other way is impossible.

thans for heads up.
      rick

Comment

Don't crack that case, they are very expensive, & real hard to repair. Just pull the cover off the rotor & starter clutch assembly. You will be able to see if the starter is turning the starter gear, if it is, the starter clutch, as said earlier is messed up. The starter gear should turn easily one direction, but to turn it the other way, the crankshaft should turn also. Just thinking, if the starter got wired backwards, would it turn the starter clutch the wrong way, causing the starter gear to just spin backwards?
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
        X