clucth cable replacement gs700es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clucth cable replacement gs700es

just a general question for steps to replace cable on a gs700 or 83gs 750 have replaced cables before but on this bike it looks like you have to actually take cover off to get inside and access cable just wondered what it consists of or do i need any special tools cant find a book for these models so i have no idea what to expect any help would be appreciated, thanks

E-bay is a good place to find a manual at a low price. I just replaced the cable on my 850, and I would think your set up would be the same? I didn't have to pull the clutch cover. It was a matter of removing a cotter pin from clutch release arm. Anyway, most importantly, make sure you route the new cable exactly the way the old one is. And make sure it's not binding or hanging up anywhere. I did the job in 20 degree weather, and what should have taken 10 minutes took almost an hour.

Comment

You do have to pull the cover over the countershaft to unhook that end of the cable. After assembly you want to end up with about 1/8" play in the cable. After you get the right amount of play there is a smaller cover on the countershaft cover. Remove it and loosen the lock nut on the release located there. Turn the screw until it is lightly seated then back out 1/4-1/2 turn and retighten the lock nut.

Comment

Yes, you have to remove the cover on the GS700. (I know all about it. I replaced mine about six times back when I rode a 700.) The good news is that there's nothing wet directly behind that cover.

I had two 700's. One used Philips-head screws, one used Allen screws for that cover. Whichever it is, and THIS IS IMPORTANT: Use an impact driver to loosen them, and use some penetrating oil on them about an hour before you start. They are likely seized, and you don't want to risk stripping them. And if they're Allen screws, make sure you have the *exact* bit for it (metric, not SAE!) or else you risk stripping that way as well.

While you're messing about with it, you might want to examine the spot where the cable enters the clutch lever and gently file off any sharp edges. I never did, and ended up replacing cables way too often.

Hal

Comment

thanks i didnt really know what was under the cover didnt want to take it off and have somthing fall off and lose it does anybody know where i can at least find a general service manual for this bike i know clymer doesnt make one but did suzuki?

Comment

Originally posted by suchaman
            thanks i didnt really know what was under the cover didnt want to take it off and have somthing fall off and lose it does anybody know where i can at least find a general service manual for this bike i know clymer doesnt make one but did suzuki?
            Only manual available is the Factory Service Manual for the '83 GS750e/es with the '85 supplement for the GS700e/es. Try the following link. http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/1983/62/6/5658
            Note: you may have to cursor the screen down to see the Manual. Good luck.

Comment

A couple other details I remembered. The cover screws are different lengths; to keep them straight, have a piece of cardboard handy when you take them out. As each one comes out, punch it through the cardboard in the approximate shape of the cover.

The other thing is that there's a pin (the countershaft?) that may fall out when the cover comes off. It may stay with the bike, or it may stay with the cover. In any case, the cover won't go back on unless that pin is properly aligned. I seem to recall that it was easier to line everything up if I put the pin in the cover before reassembling.

Hal

Comment

Working...
              X