Vacuum Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum Port

I decided to purchase the four gauge sync instrument from Z1 Enterprises after I did a little experiment with an old auto vacuum gauge and a restrictor valve made from a refrigerator ice-maker water inlet valve. Gave a good and stable readings at the intake vacuum ports. Maybe a more expensive gauge later on, but for now the Z1 kit.
    However access to the inner intake ports proves to be a PITA especially cyl-2, so I devised this nifty (IMO) port (machined and polished from a billet of aluminum) and although it is not finished or installed yet, this would provide easy access to the four ports right on the side of the bike (see pic below). Of course the access screws will all be changed to SS Allen head bolts. But you get the idea.
    Making this has lead to another simple great idea (IMO) and may prove to be a performance enhancer but more info on that later (need to do some testing before getting too much egg on my face).

Just got the 4-gauge set from Z1 Enterprises. Ok, it's not great but it's not half bad either. I found that they can be calibrated quite well if you have another trusty vacuum gauge handy. Put all five vacuum tubes into the hose of a vacuum cleaner (yes five, the four from the Z1 gauge plus the one from your rusty-trusty calibration standard). Stuff the vacuum's opening with a plastic bag. The plastic bezels of the gauges easily unscrew to give access to a calibration screw on the gauge faces. Start up the vac and adjust the four screws for a reading that matches the calibration standard.
    The little restricter valves that come with the gauges do not setup the calibration they are merely adjustable dampers to mitigate the effects of pulsations from the cylinders.
    Be careful with the calibration screws they are soft so a good fitting screwdriver is a must. They are also quite prone to movement from vibration, so once they're calibrated to your liking, a microscopic dab of loctite (I used a spec of Crazy Glue on the tip of a pin) in the area where the screw-head meets the meter-face keeps them in place and allows you to break the "set" for adjustments at a future date.
    Will do my carb sync this weekend.

Comment

Ok, so I've finished my nifty vacuum port which gives me easy access to the carb intake vacuum ports for synchronizing and experimenting (see photos below)

Have not done the carb sync as yet but testing the gauges on it, it works perfectly. What I did learn is that my carbs are in fact out of sync. In fact carbs 1, 2 and 4 are not to much out of whack from each other, but carb 3 is some ways off (too open). The Idle is not bad at all and I've been using it that way all along.
      So I just could not resist connecting carbs 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 together to see what happens.
      ...... Wow! it smoothed right out, in fact it's the smoothest idle I've ever had.
      Can't wait to ride the bike like this tomorrow.
      On the weekend I will do the following:
      1) Sync the carbs properly.
      2) Plug all the ports and try the bike (normal config.)
      3) Connect 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 and test again
      4) Connect all ports together and test.
      5) Report on my findings.
      Man this is fun! :-D

Comment

Hey Buddy...just can't help but smile when reading your posts and thinking..."this guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed". If all goes well with this design, you may want to market it! \\/ Looking at what you've done, the only way you could get it to balance any better would be to do the sync! That or have all the lines run to a "central port" within the vacuume block. I like it...I really like it! :-D

Comment

Motorcycling has become the most complete hobby for me, tinkering, thinking-up new stuff, meeting new people, exchanging ideas, learning new stuff and if that's not good enough ....there's riding the machine through the countryside.
          Thanksfor your sentiments.

Comment

Sounds and looks cool. I will keep reading.

Comment

It's 5:45am and I've already been out for a test ride.
              No adjustments have been made to the carbs so they're still out of sync as previously mentioned and vacuum ports 1 & 4 , 2 & 3 are linked. Here's what I've found from the test ride:
              1) Smoother Idle
              2) Less engine Vibration at all speeds.
              3) Very smooth throttle transition from idle to top end.
              4) Going back to all ports plugged Roughens the idle, there's noticibly more engine vibration and the throttle response is not as smooth.
              5) Busted my tach cable on the ride.
              6) I think it's the first time I rode and returned home without bird crap on the face shield.

Ok, items five and six above not related to the test.

Seriously I'm quite impressed with the results so far and here's what I anticipate.
              a) With the carbs synced and the vacuum ports plugged, the engine should run as smooth as described above.
              b) Linking the ports with a properly synced rack of carbs, should dynamically negate any transitional imbalances in vacuums between the carbs and help ensure smoothness.

Will continue the experiments and report. This is so easy to do. :-D
              Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2007, 06:13 AM.

Comment

? How did you make your hose connecter? Did you find one that was just that size or did you have it milled for you?

Comment

I machined it myself. I moved my business to my residence, so my office and workshop is at the back of my home. I have a full machine shop and electronics lab available to my whims and fancy 24/7. You can see it here: http://www.geocities.com/cberkeley/PLANT.html

Comment

Cool. I want one!!!

Comment

After reading your other thread on this same topic, I bought some hose t'other day and intend to try linking 1&4 and 2&3 as well. Have you tried linking them all together yet?

Comment

How the hell did I miss this post?

That is absofvckinglutely cool as all get out Cletus!

If you could make a system that allows adjustment of the throttle bodies as well on the same block, that would be about the coolest mod I have ever seen. As it is I love it. Brillient!
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                          After reading your other thread on this same topic, I bought some hose t'other day and intend to try linking 1&4 and 2&3 as well. Have you tried linking them all together yet?
                          Yes I did manifold all the tubes together and there's no measurable or discernible difference to 1&4, 2&3. And since just doing 1&4, 2&3 gives smoother, equalized performance over just plugging each port, simplifies things and looks neater, I just stayed with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                            How the hell did I miss this post?

That is absofvckinglutely cool as all get out Cletus!

If you could make a system that allows adjustment of the throttle bodies as well on the same block, that would be about the coolest mod I have ever seen. As it is I love it. Brillient!
                            Dude ....I thought you saw that already and dismissed it as Cletus fvcking with the bike again. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by bcrowther View Post
                              Cool. I want one!!!
                              Easy enough to make yourself, even with hand tools. Thought about making them and offering it as an accessory but the damned brass nipples are so expensive at $5.00 each needing 12 pieces they would cost more than the manifold block, SS Allen bolts, standoffs and tubing combined

Comment

Working...
                              X