Dyna s ignition on 83 gs 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna s ignition on 83 gs 750

Hi i need to repalce my ignition ,what do i need and to change to get a dyna s to work on my 1983 gs 750 t please help thanks for the site .

You need a dyna S ignition and the Dyna green coils (3 ohm). oh ya, and a trash can for the old stuff.
    It comes with instructions and its pretty easy to install.

they are down to $99 on ebay for the ignition and.... I forget how much for the coils but I think $135. New

Comment

83?? you may need to retro fit an older mech advance unit. Nevre seen them for $99 on ebay but anything is possible

Comment

I've also seen them on ebay for that. My question is I run the stock ignition. Would I improve performance with the Dyna? My bike runs freakin awesome right now with a stock setup.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Won't really make it run better, done more for reliability

Comment

Thanks Lynn:-D
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Ya. the original controllers are the old new tech transistor amplifiers and when their day comes it comes slow and with lots of headaches. They start to die from heat saturation and work sporadically.
              Also over $300 now.

People are still grabbing old used ones off ebay like hot cakes.

Heres a link to the guys ebay store that sells the Dyna stuff cheapest.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cyclepartzguys-Store.

drop him a note.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM.

Comment

You're an Ebay junky like me!

Comment

Yep. If i need it and there it is....
                  Ive got the bidding and winnig thing down pat. Its the people selling that are frustrating.
                  Ive been ripped off big time on ebay by some crafty people in many different areas.

As a matter of fact, I bought my current 1100 off ebay and was totally and completely ripped off.
                  I talked with the guy on the phone for a week at his home and his work, got pics and info out the yahoo and when I opened the Forward air crate I found that the "12k mile all original, perfect condition superbike" was a salvage frankenbike with the complete electric system melted. the guy was a pro baldface liar. $3500 worth.

It had been wrecked and "straightened" and was half 83', half 82' parts.
                  only the motor ran, kinda.

I also sell ALOT of stuff. bikes arent my only interest. Ive got 5 seperate ebay I.D's

Comment

Ok i have also seen in other post about mech advance unit .Has any one on here done one for a 83 gs750t

Comment

If you look inside the cover and under the mag pickup plate and you see little springs, that means you have a mechanical advance.

My 83' 1100E had mechanical advance and the old amplifier ignition. Dont know about others off hand but I'll bet all the 83's are the same at least.
                      When you change to Dyna S you leave the mechanical advance and remove the mag pickup plate to be replaced by the dyna unit.
                      The mechanical advance is centrifugal and it acts the same when you screw the new Dyna plate to it.

Easy stuff. Instructions are included.

Comment

Mechanical advance/Dyna S

If you have mechanical advance, is it necessary to use the "spacer" that comes with the Dyna S kit? It looks like a "spare" part for my 79 with mechanical advance.

Also, does anyone know if said spacer is the only difference between Dyna
                        DS3-1 for Kokusan Densi and DS3-2 for Nippon Densi?

My coils (and every other electronic part) are labeled Nippon Densi, and that's what I ordered. Then I got inside and found its a KD ignition.

Rob at Z1 said the rotor, wires, connections, etc. are all the same - it's just the spacer that's different, and the part should work fine. Dyna disagrees, and says the rotor is slightly different. As far as I can tell, the part I have WILL work - and Z1's site says they're temporarily out of the KD unit anyway.

Either way, I'd like to make a plug for Z1 and their EXTRAORDINARY service. I'll keep you posted on the interchangibility issue if nobody here can speak from past experience.

Comment

The 83 gs 750t dose not use a mech advance it uses inginitor box its the 16 valve tscc motor .Thats why dyna s dose not make one for that bike ,so that's why i wanted to know if any has used a mech advance as a retro fit and what mods need to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by rxl440 View Post
                            The 83 gs 750t dose not use a mech advance it uses inginitor box its the 16 valve tscc motor .Thats why dyna s dose not make one for that bike ,so that's why i wanted to know if any has used a mech advance as a retro fit and what mods need to be done.

My 85 1150E from the factory used an electronic ignitor box contained advance. There was no mechanical advance. When the stock ignitor unit died, I installed a dyna S ignition and retrofitted a mechanical advance from a GS850. I see no reason you cannot do the same for your 750T. Any mechanical advance from a 750, 850, 1000 or 1100 will fit it. Others may.
                            Its a drop in match up as the crank indents are all the same. On my 1150, due to its not originally having a mechanical advance, the engine case cover was not tall enough to accomodate the Dyna S, so I did have to replace the 1150 ignition case cover with one from an 83 1100. You may not have that problem with an 83 750 as I suspect it will already have the taller case cover.

Earl
                            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Dyna specifications say you must use coils with at least 3ohms of primary resistance

Comment

Working...
                              X