Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Method or Tool for Carb Bowl Measurement

Hey All !!

Its Louie again. Just looking through manual and I notice that they want ya to measure the distance of the bowl on the carbs properly so you can set the proper height. Is there a tried and true method or accurate method or even easy method to do this ? Open to any and all ideas.

Thanks

Louie

Try to connect a transparant hose to the drain of the carbs, see scanned manual picture.

Comment

A clear (gas resistant) flexible tubing over the carb overflow (the brass tube sticking out the bottom of the float bowl) and running up the side of the carb is about the easiest way to check. When you turn out the big slotted screw at the bottom of the bowl, it opens the bowl drain so that fuel runs up the clear tubing to the level that the fuel is in the carb. The manual probably says it should come up to the level of the bottom of the carb body. Don't open the large slotted screw too far or it will drain gas onto your shoe.

Check the float level like this on every carb.

If you already have the carbs off you can buy a cheap plastic vernier caliper ($1-$2) at a Dollar store or hardware/auto store. It's accurate enough for what you want.

Comment

When I had my 77 550, I was cleaning the carbs and wanted to check the float level. I cut the end off of a popsickle stick so that is was square to the length of the stick. I made a mark on the squared end to represent the level the clymer manual listed, and colored in the area from the mark to the squared end. then I could turn the carbs upside down as the book suggested, place the squared end against the interior body of the carb and compare the float level with the colored area. I wanted the floats to be in the colored area. This assured me that the carbs were not overfilling with gas.

Comment

For Junkman.

Your discription of the tool and set up does'nt sound right. I have never used the ''tube'' tool but have seen it used in photos. After draining the gas by removing the bowl drain screw,you install the tool where the screw was. Then you turn petcock to 'prime' and watch level,all of this on the centerstand of course. If you connect a tube to the overflow nipple and crack the drain screw,fuel will just drip out the screw. The fuel level inside will not rise to close the float needle to it's seat. It would be impossible for fuel level to overflow out the overflow line. If the level could be checked using the overflow,it would not be the correct level because the carb would be flooded. KK.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

How about draining the fuel into 4 individual bowls.

Make sure the fuel is off, and drain the fuel into 4 dif bowls. I used those little plastic fruit cups. next measure each into a graduated ML measuring tube. If you get 75 ML out of each carb they are filling up the same right?

Comment

Keith Krause wrote:
              Your discription of the tool and set up does'nt sound right.
              I beleive you are correct. I was thinking of the setup that Honda has on their carbs where the drain screw opens up the bottom of the bowl to drain into the overflow tube. I was confusing the two species. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Working...
              X