Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a Jam with Wiseco Rings

hey all

i hope the wealth of knowledge out there can help me with this one.

the head has had to come off my '78 gs750e to fix an oil leak. once we openned her up, we found that the top ring on every piston was broken. the bike has a Wiseco 850 kit in it, but we have since discovered that they (wiseco) no longer make this kit, and thus the rings are no longer available. a new big bore kit is about AU$800 which is financially not an option for me.

can anyone suggest a course of action? what if i just put it all back together with new gaskets like planned? the bike was running before. i'd really appreciate the benefit of your collective experience.

cheers
    gus

What is the bore in mm? May be able to find a ring set in another line or OEM of that size

Comment

How about gs850 rings. The gs750 big bore is 844cc, A gs850 is 844cc. So it might work.

Comment

Sounds like you wouldn't want to put Wiseco rings back in there anyway. Unless they broke due to bad assembly technique, or the previous owner didn't check the end gap.

Once you have measured the bore precisely, you should be able to locate rings that will work.

I'll have to look up the stock bore for a GS850, or go out into the garage and measure...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The gs850 and gs750 big bore should be the exact same bore. The strokes are the same, so if its the same cc it must be the same bore. 69mm bore.

Comment

wiseco still makes the piston kit the 844 kit

look here

the part number for those rings are 2717xc

just measure the size of your piston, should be 69mm
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

thanks guys

you guys are legends! thanks for the responses, however i have a saddening development.

i now have the rings and pistons in my hot little hands and it appears they are NOT wiseco as first thought. on the underside of the piston seems to be written: 'ALCOA' and 'MTO' or 'MTC'. does this ring a bell with anyone?the bore has now been measured at 70mm, which is nowhere near the 69mm wiseco kit.

unless i can find the rings for the unknown brand pistons, then i will be looking for a secondhand engine i think, as re sleeving and new kit etc will cost too much.

cheers
              gus

Comment

Stock GS850 bores are 69mm.

But you can get Suzuki GS850 pistons (if you need them) and piston rings in +.5mm and +1mm oversizes.

The +1mm GS850 piston ring sets are part number 12140-49001
                ($23.15 each at Flat Out)

The +1mm GS850 pistons are part number 12111-45110-100
                ($33.68 each at Flat Out)

Punch the numbers into the part finder field at the bottom -- their fiche is pretty confusing.

Alpha-Sports.com has a better fiche, but their prices are just unholy.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

MTC Still in business as MTC engineering. Google them

Comment

just looked don't have the kit listed but you should try contacting them. making rings shouldn't be to hard for them as long as you give them all the info they need

getting custom rings should be cheaper then replacing the motor
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Give Total Seal a try. I have a set of NOS Cosworth pistons I could never find rings for. Total Seal recut the top two grooves to accept a set of their Gapless rings. Rings and machine work ran about $180. I believe they have a location in Oz. http://www.totalseal.com/

Comment

all sorted

hey all

thought i'd better let you know how i got on.
                        i found a guy here in brisbane - mick cashell - that can supply nearly every type of piston ring you can think of. the top ring groove on the pistons were worn, so we machined them to suit a thicker ring, and all is so far good. problem fixed. got all new rings, pistons machined and block honed for $340.

thanks heaps for yur help.

gus

Comment

Working...
                        X