Synching Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synching Carbs

I need to synchronize the carbs on my GS1000. I don't have the vacuum test set, so I was wondering if anyone's done it by measuring the EGT (exhaust gas temp) of each cylinder. To do this would you recommend going Lean of Peak temp or Rich of Peak temp? I have tuned air-cooled aircraft engines in s symilar manner, and I was thinking that Rich of Peak would help with cooling while idling as it does with aircraft. I think this is doable, but if it would be better to just get a vacuum set and do it that way, what figures do I set the carbs to? Thanks for the input.

I believe that there is a manometer available that will do this. Morgan Carbtune, I think. Hopefully someone else can give you an answer. Otherwise it's mercury sticks, that attach to the intake boots.

Brad bt

Comment

Get a set of sticks they are cheap and they will do a better job than guessing. You can be more accurate in your adjustments with vacume than egt.:-D

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

you could make your own sync with a long tube and then loop it arround a ruler "hot dog" style and fill the tube with water, then hook one end of each to your intake boots and keep the ruler horizontal. Then adjust the sync screws until you get the water to level out.... I think it will work :-D
          Nick

Comment

I have to add, I have the proper equipment to accurately measure the temp of each header pipe, the measurements won't be guess work.

Comment

Judging from the lack of response I would guess either no one knows or you need to use a manometer. But I am no expert

Comment

Synching the carbs is going to get all the carb's set to the same air flow. To change a setting your going to adjust the throttle butterfly or slide to increase or decrease ait flow to an individual cylinder. Changing the mixture settings won't get you there, you're balancing air flow.

Using exhaust temp sounds like an interesting means to get you to a properly tuned engine. I've never heard of it being used in bike tuning, so I can't say how effective it would be. LOL

Comment

If you don't have the tools At least you can do a mechanical sync
                  should get you close

Comment

I raced karts for many years and we always used EGT but as someone else further up the thread said, I think that's more for getting the mixture itself right, whereas syncing the carbs is to get the same volume of mixture flowing through each.

Comment

Use both and you will find out you will get it the best it can be,,,,You really can't sync with just EGT because of each cyclinder will never flow the same rate all the time( Carb volume, intake track, exhaust track ect). I have done total spec'd motors for Nissan and the all come out the same, until it's running ,cfm( volume) of each one could very by as much as 7% across all 4 or 10% in 6...Sync (balancing carbs is showing your flowing equal to each or pulling as some say) Here is how one guy did the Air/fuel ana on a bike.

Just my 2 cents worth
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM. Reason: add a link

Comment

you can make a manometer. you have to have 4 tubes all connected at one end, other ends to each carb, can use atf for fluid. set all tubes level. previous post shows homemade for 2 cylinder. trying to find plans for a 4 cylinder one that works. can't remember where picture is on this computer.will post if can find.

Comment

Working...
                        X