Where can I find Caliper rebuild Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I find Caliper rebuild Kits

I just recently purchased a 1980 GS850L for $350.00. It had been sitting in a garage for two years. I still haven't got it running but my main concern is the front brake calipers. The front brakes are stuck and won't allow the wheel to turn. I talked to my local dealership about getting a rebuild kit for the front calipers and was told that the parts were no longer availible. I would like to know of someone who might still carry the rebuild kits.

I asked basically the same question just recently. I can get the parts for mine but was looking for better prices than OEM. (Some of those seals are pretty expensive for all that they are).
    Anyway, have you checked www.bikebandit.com or www.ronayers.com ?
    BikeBandit has a micro-fiche lookup to get the part numbers than you can check the prices.
    Both are good sources for OEM parts, and at better prices than you will generally get at a dealer.
    Please post back here though, if do find an aftermarket source for the kits.

Comment

thanks for your help bikebandit has lots of OEM parts for my bike. $3.00 is kind of expensive for a piston seal.

Comment

Originally posted by jsutherl
        thanks for your help bikebandit has lots of OEM parts for my bike. $3.00 is kind of expensive for a piston seal.
        Yeah, I thought so too. You should look at the price for the little caps for the brake bleeders. It's laughable.
        Take the part number and check the price on www.ronayers.com.
        They've beat Bikebandit prices on everything I've checked.
        Their shipping isn't the fastest, takes 7 - 10 days. (I've never ordered from BikeBandit so I don't know if they're better). Also they base shipping cost on order total price so it's a bit high for a couple of seals. Think they start at $7. The upside is if order something terribly heavy but not too expensive you come out ahead . Again I don't know how BikeBandit does it.
        Other than that I have no complaints with Ron Ayers.

Comment

Another source for brake/caliper rebuild kits is:

The guys there have always been helpful on the phone too. Good luck!
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

By the way, when reading the above remarks, I saw the reference to ronayers.com. I've never heard of him before, so went to check out the website.

I punched in a few part numbers to see what happens.......pretty impressive. If it recognized the p/n, and gives you a price, does that mean he has/can get the part? If that's true, then he even has side covers for the GS850 ('80). I thought new side covers for these bikes were a thing of the past.
            Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
              By the way, when reading the above remarks, I saw the reference to ronayers.com. I've never heard of him before, so went to check out the website.

I punched in a few part numbers to see what happens.......pretty impressive. If it recognized the p/n, and gives you a price, does that mean he has/can get the part? If that's true, then he even has side covers for the GS850 ('80). I thought new side covers for these bikes were a thing of the past.
              Anything I've ordered came (no back orders). So I assume that if it shows up they can get it. I did try some parts that BikeBandit showed as discontinued and Ron Ayers showed them discontinued as well. So that also makes me think that they can anything that comes up with a current price.
              I did have one dealer tell me side covers for mine were discontinued but then another could get them? FYI - I don't they come painted anymore if they are available. Mine didn't anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X