loose chain problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loose chain problems

Hi everyone, my brother recommended this site to me. He said if there's an answer, someone here will have it. I've got a 78 gs400. It's been a great daily rider even through PA winters (she even kicked over on a couple tries during a 3-4 degree week!). Anyway, every few months the chain seems to be loose. I fix it by adjusting the back wheel and sprocket back further. Is this the right way to do it or is there a chain tensioner somewhere?

I don't have my manual with me at work but... if your near the end of adjustment screw and you still have some sagging you may be in need of a new chain... when I bought mine I was at the end of the adjustment range and bought a new one no problems with sag ever since.

If you have a manual you can read up on the procedure to test if a chain is too tight/not loose enough.

You have it right on the adjustment though no worries there.
    Good Luck

Comment

Most likely you are in need of a new chain. When you get a new chain get new sprockets as well, front and rear. It's a little bit of a pain and some extra expense, but a new chain will last longer with new sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by romans5 View Post
        Hi everyone, my brother recommended this site to me. He said if there's an answer, someone here will have it. I've got a 78 gs400. It's been a great daily rider even through PA winters (she even kicked over on a couple tries during a 3-4 degree week!). Anyway, every few months the chain seems to be loose. I fix it by adjusting the back wheel and sprocket back further. Is this the right way to do it or is there a chain tensioner somewhere?
        Well how much is too loose? Yes moving the wheel is to right and only way to adjust the chain. Are you maintaining it properly? Cleaning and lubing a non-o-ring chain or cleaning an o-ring type. The manual probably says it need about 1" of movement half between the sprokets. Let it be for a while and see if it stops stretching. I run mine about twice as loose as the spec and it does fine. Just don't let it get so loose that it gathers on decel's and jerks when you accelerate. LOL

Comment

Working...
        X