Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Opinion: Bike in Truck Bed, Kick Stand Down Yes/No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Opinion: Bike in Truck Bed, Kick Stand Down Yes/No?

I will be transporting a GS850 from Pa to Mich tomorrow. I have built myself a good ramp and have a LOT of ratchet tie downs. Now assuming the bike gets in the bed fine, should I strap it with the kickstand up or down? I leave at 5am, need your input soon!

kickstand up.
    Make sure you don't strap it down too far and blow your fork seals
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Leave your kickstand up. If you have good quality straps and they are tightened properly it ain't going to budge a bit. Ted

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
        kickstand up.
        Make sure you don't strap it down too far and blow your fork seals

Thanks for the quick replys everyone. This forum is top notch. As for the seals..... how much is too much?

Comment

I like the kickstand down. I worked at a harley dealer and we use to tranport 4 bikes at a time in a box truck with the kickstands down. Its just seems easier and more stable.

Comment

Stand UP

I Hauled My 850 From Near Canton Ohio to West KY in a Uhaul Covered Trailor with No Problems at All. We Comprerssed the Front Forks about Half Way with Ratchet Type Straps and used Tiedowns to Keep the Back end From Jumping Around. 500 Mile Trip. The Fellow I bought it From said He had actually Seen a Frame Broken by a Kickstand during Transport!:shock:
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Bout halfway down ought to work...

Originally posted by aedi006 View Post
              As for the seals..... how much is too much?
              Just tight enough that it can't bounce around and get loose.
              Check it every once in a while on the way.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

up!!! up!!! up!!!
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                  I like the kickstand down. I worked at a harley dealer and we use to tranport 4 bikes at a time in a box truck with the kickstands down. Its just seems easier and more stable.
                  Never actually seen it, but I've been told that leaving the bike kickstand down upps the chance that a bad bump will punch that kickstand through the truck bed

Comment

I have the kickstand up. I put the ramp on one side of the bike and an old tire on the other that would keep it from going all the way over.....just in case.
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Up. I've transported my sportbikes to and from track days and never had a problem with it. If you do it right, the bike should be sitting perfectly straight, so the kickstand doesn't even matter. You want it straight up and down so the suspension absorbs the vertical jarring of the ride.. You do NOT want the kickstand absorbing it.

Comment

I think the UPs have it

The UPs have it. Thanks All! yawn

Comment

be sure you use at least 2 sets of straps, both on the handlebars. Odds are, nothing would brake, but if something did happen, that extra insurance would be invaluble.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                          X