Oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful!

Castrol did NOT recommend their 10w40 when they responded to my question to them. I will bet if you look, that viscosity has the "Energy Star" and says "Fuel Saving" on the bottle. Those are definite "No-Nos" on an oil container unless you have a new car with roller valve lifters.

Be careful, things that we have done for 20 years are not longer valid!

Good luck, Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Highcountry2000 View Post
      Castrol did NOT recommend their 10w40 when they responded to my question to them. I will bet if you look, that viscosity has the "Energy Star" and says "Fuel Saving" on the bottle. Those are definite "No-Nos" on an oil container unless you have a new car with roller valve lifters.

Be careful, things that we have done for 20 years are not longer valid!

Good luck, Bruce
      10W40 oil (including Castrol) does not have an emblem marked "Energy Conserving" and does not contain the friction modifiers of the oil marked this way. "Energy Conserving" oil is usually 5W-30 or 10W-30, and the viscosity is never over 30 weight.

Comment

Mobil 1. Always ran the car 10-30 but now I use the bike specific 10-40. Running hard, hot, and long there's no substitue for the protection it offers.
        Been using it in an 88 Pathfinder since 10K. Now have over 293K and never a hiccup or engine problem. Costs more. Always clean innards during maintenance.

mushman

Comment

oil

I run my GS1000s on castrol Gtx 15,40 the old gs has done about 80000 mls

Comment

Castrol 10W40. No Troubles at All, but it Appears that CHANGING the Oil on a Regular Basis is Way More Important that the Brand or Type!
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Trying full synthetic. AMSOIL 10-40. It's JAMO certified I think. Seems to be running well so far. No shifting problems (caused by the oil, haha).

Also blended my own fork fluid with amsoil ATF fluid.

Gota agree with marvinsc about changing the oil.

Comment

Working...
              X