Dyna III Ignition reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna III Ignition reliability

I recently installed a Dyna III ignition on my 78 GS1000, still using original coils. The bike ran great but, lately if the bike sits for a week or more it will crank well but won't start (no spark). I've triple checked the wiring to the ignition module and the gap at the pickups to the rotor. The first thing was to eliminate the cheesy crimp on connector to the coil wire and solder that connection, the ground is direct to the battery. If I leave my battery tender hooked up until I get a green fully charged light the bike will fire. The battery (yasua) is @ 8 months old and cracks well. Any ideas? Is this a problem new coils would solve or do I just need to leave the battery tender plugged in all the time?

Cheap first...

First, before you go spending money let the bike sit without the battery tender. Then check the voltage of the battery, it should be 12.40 or better. Possible you could have one dead cell in the battery and the ignition is not firing due to insufficient voltage even though there are enough amps to turn the motor over.

Good Luck, Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bruce

Thanks for the quick reply. Good advice, I haven't done that since it seemed to cranck so well. Of course I did just charge it and it looks like it's going to be a nice weekend so I may not be able to let it sit but I'll do that next.

Comment

If you are still using the stock coils CHANGE THEM Dyna recomends using the 3 ohm coils with their ign your stock coils are 5 ohms. I had a 78GS1000 with points. Let it set for a week, Could crank it for 5 minutes until the battery was dead, Jump it either before or after running the battery down & would fire right up. Was caused by the battery being weak
        Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2007, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X