Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil drain plug removal...

probably most basic question ever...

My Clymer manual says to use a 13/16 spark plug socket to remove the drain plug...but on my bike, the 13/16 seems just a tick too small. What gives? I tried an assortment of wrenches but there's no room to maneuver between the exhaust pipes and the center stand....

some times it seems as if nothin' is ever easy....

oil does not smell of gas, but I think I have too much oil in....like nearly 4 quarts..and supposed to just have a drop over 3...I think that may be contributing to my running problems....ya think?

Thanks!

TGIF! \\/

If'n ya do the math, that works out to 20.6mm, which means that it's probably a 21mm bolt head, which is a rather common size. If you have to buy a socket, try to get a 6-point, not a 12-point. The 6 will do better if the corners ever get rounded off.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd go with Steve on this. Try a metric socket. Be sure to just snug the bolt when you reinstall it.

Brad bt

Comment

I use a 21mm metric socket on mine with an extension bar to help negotiate the pipes.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm Here

jbs, I've been seeing your posts for a while now, and while not being totally informed with all of you're problems, I can commiserate. If not help. I'm in Fountain. I used to be an ASE certified tech (on imports), and as we speak my tool box is in the back of the truck. I'd be more than happy to help if I can. I recently ressurected my 850 from an approx 17 year nap. Feel free to email me (scotschult@comcast.net), or PM me (although I don't really see the PM's as well as I should), and I'll be happy to give you my cell number, and we can get together to get you running. In the end, I've emailed with a couple of other people here, that are close by. Maybe we can all get together (SOON!!) to get in a Victory Ride. Never fear, you'll be on the road soon, one way or another!

Here to Help,
          Scott

Comment

Ah, Clymer's strikes again. :shock:
            You have a metric bike, not a mixed like some American cars now.
            Discount anyone who tells you to use an American wrench. Some are quite close, most are just not quite right. JMO.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2007, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scotschult View Post
              jbs, I've been seeing your posts for a while now, and while not being totally informed with all of you're problems, I can commiserate. If not help. I'm in Fountain. I used to be an ASE certified tech (on imports), and as we speak my tool box is in the back of the truck. I'd be more than happy to help if I can. I recently ressurected my 850 from an approx 17 year nap. Feel free to email me (scotschult@comcast.net), or PM me (although I don't really see the PM's as well as I should), and I'll be happy to give you my cell number, and we can get together to get you running. In the end, I've emailed with a couple of other people here, that are close by. Maybe we can all get together (SOON!!) to get in a Victory Ride. Never fear, you'll be on the road soon, one way or another!

Here to Help,
              Scott
              I'm in! will help if work schedule allows. A Victory ride, the same!

Comment

Working...
              X