Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of oil should I use on a foam filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of oil should I use on a foam filter?

Came back to this one....post number four.

Just got a new foam air filter...instructions state to oil it first. Can I just use the same oil that I use on my K&N filters (car)? If so, about how "saturated" should the filter be upon installation? Hey, thanks in advance for answers! :-D
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2007, 12:53 AM. Reason: filter oil revisit please :)

The K&N oil should be fine. You want enough to coat it but do not make it soaking wet. Spray some on and then squeeze out the excess with your hand like you would with a kitchen sponge (don't twist the crap out of it since the foam is more fragile than a sponge).
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      The K&N oil should be fine. You want enough to coat it but do not make it soaking wet. Spray some on and then squeeze out the excess with your hand like you would with a kitchen sponge (don't twist the crap out of it since the foam is more fragile than a sponge).

Lol ...ok...I won't "twist the crap out of it"...although...I know that you said that because someone, somewhere...did just that! Thanks for the response. :-D

Comment

gonna revisit this quick

I first put this thread in because when I got the filter, there was a sheet of paper in it that said "oil before using"...well, I did this, but now I am getting very poor idle performance...like virtually none at all. A buddy of mine, who also runs a gixxer said that he has NEVER run oil on a inline four, much less his gixxer. so...any input on this. Should I run the filter dry...it's a foam one that I got from JC Whitney...so possibly it is for a variety of models...????? suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by redtires View Post
          I first put this thread in because when I got the filter, there was a sheet of paper in it that said "oil before using"...well, I did this, but now I am getting very poor idle performance...like virtually none at all. A buddy of mine, who also runs a gixxer said that he has NEVER run oil on a inline four, much less his gixxer. so...any input on this. Should I run the filter dry...it's a foam one that I got from JC Whitney...so possibly it is for a variety of models...????? suggestions please? Thanks in advance.
          I just replaced the air filter on my GS550ES and had the same questions. The original was a dry paper type and I ordered the OEM replacement, which obviously this wasn't. Since I was expecting paper, I didn't even have filter oil on hand. Once I got the oil (I got the aerosol) I still could only make an educated guess as to what "saturated" meant. I wound up coating both inside and outside surfaces, letting it sit for a few minutes, then gently squezzing the foam to until little or no excess "oozed" out and finally wiping all excess oil off of every other part of the filter. After install my bike fired right up and didn't display any new behavior.

PS: Just because of the mess involved, next time I'll be trying to find a paper or other dry filter type.

Comment

DON'T spray the inside. One small can of filter oil will last for many years
            It's like spraying a lite coat of paint LITE being the key
            Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2007, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              DON'T spray the inside. One small can of filter oil will last for many years
              It's like spraying a lite coat of paint LITE being the key
              Not argue, but the filter maker (UNI) specifically said to spray both inside and outside.

Comment

I've used whatever oil is on hand for almost twenty years and never had a problem. I usually 'saturate' with oil, wring out the excess and then squeeze the foam wrapped inside an old rag. The rag takes up the excess and the foam is right to go. All you are trying to do is make the filter 'sticky' so that it catches fine dust before it gets to the carb.

When you take it out to service it, rinse it in petrol, wash in warm soapy water, dry (again use old rag) and re-oil. Should last for years.

Comment

Well...I most DEFINITELY got it too wet for sure, interesting to hear that all of you who responded DO use a very light oil treatment. I think I'll clean it and then start over using the oil very sparingly. Thanks y'all!

Comment

Working...
                  X