Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pitted front forks

Hi all,
    I have a 77' gs400 with aprox 23,000 mi. on it. It is currently being restored. The front forks have rust pits all over the place. They go deep enough to make me question how safe they would be to use. I haven't taken any depth messurements. The pits are mostly confined to the upper half of the forks. Is this an actuall problem or is it an appearance issue? Is there a fix for this or do I need to start looking for new ones?
    Tnx

Hi there,

How far does the pitting go down? is it on the part of the fork where there is travel with the seals? Are there any leaks of fork oil?

the rust would have to be pretty bad to do anything to the structural integrity.

POOT

Comment

Originally posted by Poot View Post
      Hi there,

How far does the pitting go down? is it on the part of the fork where there is travel with the seals? Are there any leaks of fork oil?

the rust would have to be pretty bad to do anything to the structural integrity.

POOT
      If the bike is rideable,put a ziptie on the male tube and ride around and make a few really hard stops using the front brake. The ziptie will side up to the point of maximum fork compression. Any pits between the ziptie and the female slider need to be addressed.
      I had the same problem with a 82 KZ750. What I did was used emery paper and whet stones to smooth the edges of the pits in the male tube. Worked really well. Just dress the edges of the pits with the stones and emery and that will keep them from tearing the new seals up.
      Pitting will not compromise the structural integrity of the fork leg,it'll just tear up the seals and bushings.

Comment

An old ratbike trick for pitted forks is to smooth off any raggd edges as mentioned before, then fill the pits with araldite, then once its dried, use very fine wet & dry paper wrapped around a sanding block to smooth it off. Use the paper wet. I`ve used this trick and it does work well.
        "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
        1978 GS750
        1979 GS750 chop
        1979 GS550
        2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
        2000 Enfield Bullet 500
        1992 XV750 Virago
        2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

pitted forks

HI all,
          Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the forks and get some measurements on them. Where do you get araldite? I've not heard of it before. Is there anything else that can be used to fill the pits if this isn't avalible?
          Tnx

Comment

I'm thinking JB Weld???

Originally posted by tomo View Post
            An old ratbike trick for pitted forks is to smooth off any raggd edges as mentioned before, then fill the pits with araldite, then once its dried, use very fine wet & dry paper wrapped around a sanding block to smooth it off. Use the paper wet. I`ve used this trick and it does work well.
            Sounds like another use for JB Weld to me.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Araldite is just a two part resin adhesive. Lots of those about.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by GearHead View Post
                HI all,
                Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the forks and get some measurements on them. Where do you get araldite? I've not heard of it before. Is there anything else that can be used to fill the pits if this isn't avalible?
                Tnx
                Them furriners have different words for everything!

You sometimes have to look at the country where a forum contributor lives and do a bit of translating to arrive at products available in your country.

The Aussie blokes are always recommending wonderfully dangerous chemicals you can't get in the states.

I've heard different things about the JB Weld trick, but if it's the last resort, what the heck. I would definitely try simply smoothing out the edges of any pits in the sealing area before trying to fill them. You could also try one of the aftermarket seals that are sometimes a bit more forgiving.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Sorry, did`nt occur to me you might not know Araldite. Its just a two part epoxy resin, you probably can get it over there but maybe under a different name. I don`t know of JB Weld, but sounds similar. Is it one of these two part epoxy resins that the manufacturers tell us sets as strong as metal and can be drilled, tapped etc. If so I guess it would do the job. Worth a try anyway, hope it works.
                  "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                  1978 GS750
                  1979 GS750 chop
                  1979 GS550
                  2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                  2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                  1992 XV750 Virago
                  2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Halfords sells JB weld these day & yes it is of US origin & yes they do make a version of Araldite....

I get used to translating over here
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by tomo View Post
                      I don`t know of JB Weld, but sounds similar. Is it one of these two part epoxy resins that the manufacturers tell us sets as strong as metal and can be drilled, tapped etc. If so I guess it would do the job. Worth a try anyway, hope it works.
                      Exactly right tomo.

Comment

Working...
                      X