Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

won't start. out of action since September!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

won't start. out of action since September!

Wow. Here I am again asking questions, and I thought I had this thing licked.

Hey all. Same ol' 78 GS1000E with a tick over 48k sitting in the garage since early September. Here's the history. Last summer I rebuilt the carbs, new battery, new oil, filters, acid in the tank, etc. All the good stuff you do to a time capsule not started since Reagan was in office.

Ran like a champ. Felt like it would pull tree stumps out of the ground. Rode 25 miles on a Saturday night without a hitch. Then Sunday.

Started it up, went up the street, turned around using a perfect-o left hand u-turn a la MSF course and it stumbled...and it died. Luckily home was downhill and I coasted in. Out of gas? Tossed in a couple of gallons and...it ran like crap. I figured there was still some junk in the tank and the left turn sloshed it into the petcock and into the carbs. Pulled the tank and the carbs. Cleaned the carbs, and found a little bit of fine silt in the bowls, figured it was some leftovers from the tank. Cleaned the tank and holes from rust opened up. Tired of the rust, off to the radiator shop. Cleaned, patched and epoxyed. Off for paint. WInter project. Now I am ready for action.

This morning. Stuck the big pipes of the bike out of the garage, dumped some gas in my "new" tank and hit the button. Nothing. Will cough with ether in the airbox, and try like heck to turn over. It wants to go as bad as I do man.

The only thing I have not been through is the petcock. But what is going to get through the screens? Drained the tank using the "prime" setting and gas seemed to flow just fine, but watching the gas line when trying to start it didn't show much gas running. Not like I remember. I remember when I first ran it, gas would flow on prime until the bowls were full. So fast it freaked me out a bit I recall.

I don't know. I think I've been over it, but I may be missing something in my frustration. Three bikes in the garage in various stages of disrelpair, the oldest is a 74 and the newest is an 84. But the GS is what I want on the road. ANY thoughts are appreciated.

The moral of the story. Never turn left.

My 82 GS750T isn't running either, since last fall as well. One thing I can say from experience (learned the hard way since I didn't listen to all the good advice I read)...

Buy a new petcock, don't mess with rebuilding it. I rebuilt mine, and it hasn't even tried to work right since. Think mine costs about $20 for a rebuild kit, and about $40 for the whole thing.

Since I didn't listen to this primo advice, I've got a 2-liter hooked up to my gas line right now, till I buy the new petcock so the gas doesn't leak down onto the floor of the shed.

Comment

Well if you think it's a fueling issue, I would say try starting the bike on prime.

I don't think it's a fueling issue, though. I'm willing to bet it's an electrical thing. Jump the bike.

Comment

did you suck on the vac line of the petcock to make sure it operates in run mode not just prime mode? Also when my bike sits for a while (2 weeks) or longer it doesn't like to start either. I hit it with starting fluid 5-6 seperate times while trying to start it and it eventually starts. My problem is due to carb issues which I'll soon be addressing.

Comment

well, well

pulled the battery and threw it on the 12 v 2 amp. maybe the maint. charge wasn't enough to really fully charge it.

tried to run it on prime. no dice. just doesn't seem to be getting fuel.

found that the vacuum line from the carb to the petcock had cracked at the petcock nipple. new line now in. still should be running on prime.

on prime the petcock leaks a bit, but seals up on the other positions.

i hate screwing with this tank. it is soooo nice and black. just want to leave it on you know. less chance of damage.

Comment

sucking the vacuum line?

in the on position, what should the petcock be doing if i, er suck on the vacuum line? never done this one so i don't know what i am supposed to be looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Surly View Post
              pulled the battery and threw it on the 12 v 2 amp. maybe the maint. charge wasn't enough to really fully charge it.

found that the vacuum line from the carb to the petcock had cracked at the petcock nipple. new line now in. still should be running on prime.

i hate screwing with this tank. it is soooo nice and black. just want to leave it on you know. less chance of damage.

Look at it this way, if the petcock is leaking fuel out, then when the engine is trying to draw fuel in, the petcock will also leak air in, so your engine is pulling in air instead of gas. It aint a gonna run real well on air. :-) Sounds like new petcock time (best guess anyhow) to me.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Just give us some clarification here. You pulled off the gas line, turned the petcock to prime and some gas dribbles out?

On prime a nice stream of gas should pour out. Did you take the petcock apart and clean it? Replace the rubber disc and O ring?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

by sucking on the line you are opening the fuel valve in the petcock to let fuel run to the carbs in the on and reserve positions. Your engine vacumm normally does this but for testing purposes disconnect your fuel line and place a container below your petcock then put a piece of hose on your vacumn nipple and suck on the line. Fuel should come our freely......

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Kenny View Post
                    by sucking on the line you are opening the fuel valve in the petcock to let fuel run to the carbs in the on and reserve positions. Your engine vacumm normally does this but for testing purposes disconnect your fuel line and place a container below your petcock then put a piece of hose on your vacumn nipple and suck on the line. Fuel should come our freely......
                    yup that's what I was trying to say. take some vice grips and wrap the jaws in elec tape. then suck on the vac line and close the vice grips around the vac line while your sucking it, this will keep vaccum pressure in the line so you don't have to keep sucking on it. place the fuel hose in a container or whatever and check for fuel running (not dripping) out of the hose. change the petcock to prime, on, and reserve. if no gas then you'll need a new petcock.

You may also want to remove the petcock for inspection

Comment

clarification

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Just give us some clarification here. You pulled off the gas line, turned the petcock to prime and some gas dribbles out?

On prime a nice stream of gas should pour out. Did you take the petcock apart and clean it? Replace the rubber disc and O ring?
                      With the tank on the bike, minimal gas appeared to be running down the line (I have a brand new clear in-line Hastings fuel filter installed). This was the same in any of the three positions.

So, I removed the tank to drain the gas for further inspection. I hooked a length of tubing up to the petcock and turned it to prime and "a nice stream of gas" flowed out and quickly drained the tank.

After the tank was off is when I discovered that the vacuum line from the carbs to the petcock has a large tear in it. I don't know when it happened. It could have even ripped last summer and been the source of my woes!Still, the prime setting baffles me.

I'll pull the petcock off after work and tear into it. But it sounds like anything beyond replacing the disc and o-ring is a waste of effort, and the whole thing should just be replaced.

Do you think I should do an oil change in case there is gas in the case? Would I also need to change the filter?

Comment

So, I removed the tank to drain the gas for further inspection. I hooked a length of tubing up to the petcock and turned it to prime and "a nice stream of gas" flowed out and quickly drained the tank. It could have even ripped last summer and been the source of my woes!

Do you think I should do an oil change in case there is gas in the case? Would I also need to change the filter?

If there is a nice stream on prime thats good news. You need to fix the leaking vac line and put more gas in your tank. Then try sucking on the vac line with it in the on/reserve position if you have the same steady stream the you fixed the problem.

Pull the fuel filter and try to blow through it, if it's really easy then no need to replace the filter. Reinstall everything and turn the setting to prime. Spray a little starting fluid in the carbs to help it out and it should fire up. Then switch the setting to on and try it again. As I've stated before you may have to spray starting fluid then start several times before it finally stays running.

Comment

Originally posted by gotjeepzj View Post
                          If there is a nice stream on prime thats good news. You need to fix the leaking vac line and put more gas in your tank. Then try sucking on the vac line with it in the on/reserve position if you have the same steady stream the you fixed the problem.

Pull the fuel filter and try to blow through it, if it's really easy then no need to replace the filter. Reinstall everything and turn the setting to prime. Spray a little starting fluid in the carbs to help it out and it should fire up. Then switch the setting to on and try it again. As I've stated before you may have to spray starting fluid then start several times before it finally stays running.
                          I think he's referring to the oil. The only OEM fuel filter is the screens on the p/c tubes and bowl.

If you're unsure if gas has gotten into the oil, just change the oil and filter. Sometimes if you open the filler cap and give a sniff you can smell gas in the oil, but this isn't a sure thing. Better to just put new oil and filter (don't forget the filter cover 0-ring) and not have to worry about it.

Brad bt

Comment

yes when it doubt change it out. I was referring to blowing through the fuel filter. If gas runs out of the petcock but doesn't reach the carbs the only other thing standing in the way is the fuel filter.

Comment

INLINE FUEL SWITCH
                              INLINE FUEL SWITCH
                              INLINE FUEL SWITCH

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU'LL STOP THE GAS RUNNING INTO YOUR CARBS WHEN THE BIKE IS NOT BEING USED, AND IF YOU DIDN'T GET THE ABOVE MESSAGE.......................................
                              INLINE FUEL SWITCH

Been there and done it, floor full of gas and motor locked.

I don't have that problem anymore......
                              INLINE FUEL SWITCH

Comment

Working...
                              X