Another tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tire question

I'm getting ready to replace the flat, dry-rotted tires on my '82 GS 650G with some fresh rubber. The original tires are 3.25 H19 (100/90-19) fronts and 4.25 H17 (110/90-17) rears. The only matching set of tires I could find in this size are the IRC Durotour RS 310 & RS 410. I've been looking around and there aren't many options for 17" tires out there. It seems like all the tires that are recommended on this site begin at 130/90 17. Does anyone have any opinions on the IRC Durotours? Or any other tires that come in the 110/90 17 or 120/90 17 size?

I put a durotour on my 1000 when i owned it.
    Not bad, actually had pretty good grip when leaned over and 2 up
    worked well.
    I sold it with plenty of tread left, so I have no idea as to how long it would last.

Did you check for Dunlops ?
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks for your response

I have checked Dunlops. The D404s (which was my first choice) only come in 130/90-17 for the rear, same with the 491s (which is kinda pricey). I probably won't be doing much 2-up riding or real agressive riding. I'm just looking for a good tire at a good price and it seems that the Duotour is the only thing out there. :?

I'm not sure I could fit a 130/90 tire or if I'd even want to?

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
        I have checked Dunlops. The D404s (which was my first choice) only come in 130/90-17 for the rear, same with the 491s (which is kinda pricey). I probably won't be doing much 2-up riding or real agressive riding. I'm just looking for a good tire at a good price and it seems that the Duotour is the only thing out there. :?

I'm not sure I could fit a 130/90 tire or if I'd even want to?
        If you move the brake stay over a bit, as in bend it, the bigger tire should fit.
        Shaft GS650? As in G model ? or E model ?
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

G model, whoops thought that was in my sig. I'll fix that now. I'm leaning towards getting the IRCs since they are in my price range and I know they'll fit. I was just looking for some feedback saying that they're good or they're junk...

Comment

I like 'em

I have IRC Duotours on a GS1000 and from my limited experience they are good enough for me. Of course, I'm not out blasting around, but they handle the weight of the bike very well. The jury is out on wear, I can't keep the bike running long enough. [-o<

I plan on getting IRC dual sport tires for my old Yamaha DT175 this year. Those also are a tougher and tougher size to find.

Comment

120/80-17 will work in the rear same diameter and only a 1/4inch wider.
              Try the Avon Roadrider.

Comment

I'll check these out, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by distraction628 View Post
                  120/80-17 will work in the rear same diameter and only a 1/4inch wider.
                  Try the Avon Roadrider.

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/AVON/AVON%20MC/avon_am26_roadrider.htm

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcyc...showspecs&id=6
                  These actually look pretty good price-wise and come in the V rating. Anyone have any idea as to how well they wear? Any guesses?

Edit: FYI these are the "new" Avon AM26 Roadriders

Comment

Well I can't tell you how long they will last I have only got around 65 miles on mine now...grip is great, still doing the rough in, but they grip better then the Dunslop GT qualifier (pacifier in my humble opion! LOL ) did in it's life of 6500 miles.
                    Did you read about the contact patch works on a lean! It seems to do as they say!
                    Hope that helps a little.....

Comment

gs750e 1978
                      i have 130/80/18 on the back wheel

Comment

I went ahead and ordered a set of the Avons. Can't wait to slap those babys on. The tires that are currently on the bike appear to be the originals?!? I'm getting quite excited about riding this spring. \\/

Comment

Working...
                        X