79 or 80 GS1000 fork swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 or 80 GS1000 fork swap

My brother has a GS1000, 79 or 80, and would like to change to a dual front disc setup. Is there another year GS/model that would be a direct swap for the forks, calipers, tire, ect...

Pete,

I have the Haynes manual for the GS1000 from 1977-1979. The manual doesn't state any changes so I assume these years are interchangable. The
    GS850 front end appears to be very similar to the GS1000 but the snowbank is too high on the shed so I can't go out and look. I know the GS750 is different as the tubes are smaller and there is only one disc on the early models. I hope that helps you a little.

I like the quote at the bottom of your post.

Blaine

Comment

Pete,
      I just did this to my '78. What you need is a '78 to '80 1000E model. The wheels are a diferent size so the tires won't swap. At the moment I don't have enough pressusre to run the front brakes. I haven't decided yet if the master cylinder from the single caliper is good for the duals. I need to try another brake bleed but might be getting a new master.

Steve

Comment

In fact the single disc master is better for the twin disc setup. It provides a bit more power for the same effort. It is not dramatic, just a little increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelie
          Pete,
          I just did this to my '78. What you need is a '78 to '80 1000E model. The wheels are a diferent size so the tires won't swap. At the moment I don't have enough pressusre to run the front brakes. I haven't decided yet if the master cylinder from the single caliper is good for the duals. I need to try another brake bleed but might be getting a new master.

Steve
          Thanks.

Did the change in wheel size effect handling? (I'm assuming you meant diameter). Is the wheel smaller?

Comment

To Wheelie/pjackson.

I own a '79 1000EN. I was going to buy a master cylinder for a 1000C but my Suzuki dealer says they believe the bore was a bit smaller in the single disc unit and it would not move enough fluid. Makes sense.The part numbers are also different. Both are discontinued. That's probably why you don't have enough pressure. But Saaz says it works,so I don't know what to think. The dual disc E is a mag wheel,is the rear going to remain spokes? My factory manual says the fronts are both 19'' but the 1000C has an 18'' rear and the E has a 17''. Let us know what happens and if you find a solution to your brake pressure problem. KK.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hey Pete,
              I just changed over to the Mags 2 mos. ago and since the brakes aren't up to snuff I haven't driven it yet.
              The front cast rim is also wider than the spoke one. You could run the stock 90/90 on this but I got 2 new tires. The spoke rims are what I'm running on the chopper.
              I was thinking about getting a 16mm bore master cylinder from Kirk if the stock '78 master dosen't work out. I have the master from the '80 but it's too ugly to put on such a nice ride.
              I have to take a picture of the '78 and post it in the gallery. I think you guys would like it.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X