Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake Centering

Hello,

I'm doing some needed maintenance (fork seals and rear brake pads) and in replacing the rear brake pads something doesn't seem quite right. With the pads out, the caliper doesn't seem to be centered on the disk. I have looked in my factory service manual and clymer manual and neither say anything about an adjustment for this. It seems to me that if I reassemble things like this the disk will be constantly rubbing against the outside brake pad. I have attached a picture taken from behind the bike looking forward. It is a 79 GS850. In the picture there are no brake pads installed. I have rotated the wheel and the spacing doesn't change so I don't believe the brake disk is warped (the disk actually rubs a little when rotated). Is this normal?

Thanks,

Luke

You have a spacer installed wrong.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Do you know which one? That is reassuring (in a not very kind of way), as the last person to have the rear tire off was a mechanic at a local bike shop.

Thanks,

Luke

Comment

Take a better pic showing your spacers. Is #5 on my picture in the right spot?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Here are a couple more pics, one is again from the rear and the other is from the rear, but kind of underneath the bike.

Luke

Comment

I can help you with the pic but I don't know much about the shafties.
            Something is pushing the rim to the right. Go through it and try and figure it out.
            Sorry I can't be more help.

Comment

Question: Are those washers I'm seeing between the caliper and the caliper bracket?
              Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2007, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I don't know if this will help you but, here's what mine looks like. It looks close, but it does not touch the caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                  Question: Are those washers I'm seeing between the caliper and the caliper bracket?
                  Don't know what I did but about burned my brakes apart tonight. Remembered this thread and so looked at mine. My rotor is also very very close to the caliper. In fact it dawned on me my feeler gauge may tell me for sure if I'm touching. Here's a pic of when I was working on the rear and to me lukehan's looks right. Is this possibly an alignment problem we're having?

Comment

I guess it's ok now

Well, I couldn't find anything that looked out of place, no extra washers or anything like that, so I put everything back together and put the pads in, it is very close, but it is not rubbing, so I guess I'll keep an eye on it as the new brake pads wear in. Thanks for the suggestions/help.

Luke

Comment

Originally posted by lukehan View Post
                      Well, I couldn't find anything that looked out of place, no extra washers or anything like that, so I put everything back together and put the pads in, it is very close, but it is not rubbing...
                      Luke
                      In your first pic it looks like it's not only touching but it's worn a groove in the caliper. I'm still curious if anyone has any suggestions into ways to adjust that gap.

8track clearly has much more clearance on his caliper than yours or mine.

Comment

my two cents

looks to me like the cisk is not sitting square to the caliper. either the wheel is sitting tilted to one side, or the caliper has been slightly bent. i'm no pro, but that's how it looks.

i can see the groove worn in the caliper as well.

Comment

There is no 'adjustment'. If things don't line up, either parts are missing, or in the wrong place, or backwards, or something is warped or bent...

Comment

I think that perhaps the caliper bracket got tweaked at some point, the clearance looks normal on the front side. Any ideas on how to check the bracket for square?

Luke

Comment

Can't tell what is wrong, MY 850 the disk is centered in the calaper
                              Have you checked the calaper adapter axel hole ??? It looks bent
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2007, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X