The Carb Cleaning Nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Carb Cleaning Nightmare

Well, the odyssey continues... First carb (#1) I worked on - broken float post. Well, fixed that with help from the forum. Second carb I just started - another broken float post (right through the hole that takes the pin shoulder) but the pin was reversed by whoever did it and seems to hold pretty tight. But I also discovered a screwed-up pilot jet, no slot left in head after Helen Keller had worked on it (who knows who did?). I ended up using an extractor, but the head of the pilot jet is trashed (how anyone can manage to destroy a jet that simply needs to be gently screwed in is beyond me). Who knows what I will discover on the two remaining carbs .

My question to you folks is; do dealerships sell just one pilot jet or will I have to buy an entire kit? I am going to stay OEM, the bike is entirely stock. I'm not sure which Mikuni I have, but the bike is a 1981 GS650GL.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Norseman.

Try trolling for parts in the Wanted - Parts, Misc. section of the forum. Might be able to pick up the parts you need there.

Comment

You can buy pilot jets by the each. I just hope they have your size. Try any local bike shop. These CV carbs were used ALOT. I use on-line parts dealer Dennis Kirk for jets. They even exchange jets. But if you can find them locally I would.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks...

Thanks, Pearson and Chef. I will call the dealership (Motorcity Power Sports; they're the largest in the Detroit area) and see if either they have one in stock or can order one. The reason I posted tonight is really for peace of mind - and you gave me peace, Chef. Money is tight right now, and I was worried I'd have to spend alot.

I'm about to open the last two carbs, hopefully no unpleasant surprises...

Norseman

Comment

More Problems

Well, I got the last two carbs disassembled (almost). Third carb has an air screw that won't budge, I have it soaking in PB Blaster overnight, try it again in the morning. Perhaps a little heat applied to the outside of carb would do the trick ?

Fourth carb has another destroyed pilot jet head - once again used screw extractor and got it out without damage to carb body.

The good news is carbs 3 & 4 have good float posts. It's really a no-brainer getting the pin out using a small socket to support the post with the pin head, and gently tapping.

Are messed up pilot jets and frozen air screws common problems? Or am I having extraordinary problems here? :shock:

Norseman

Comment

You are not alone so don't feel bad Do you know what size the pilot jet is ??

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
              Are messed up pilot jets and frozen air screws common problems? Or am I having extraordinary problems here? :shock:

Norseman
              Well I was starting to feel good about my carb rebuild and I remembered the hairline fracture that caused a good size fuel leak and resultant hair loss with my carbs. :shock: A quick dab of solder eventually fixed me up and I got a new bowl off a member for cheap! So I guess problems are pretty common with these carbs, but fortunately so are parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
                Well, the odyssey continues...
                Norseman.
                Sounds like just another day in the life of a carb cleaning. Be Paticeint. My down fall was rushing it, having to do it over and having 4 dealerships within a mile. $$$$. Shop around and use the resources.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

They're BS32SS's. They were used on the GS550, 650, and 850. they're common. almost to the point of hilarity.

sounds like your set is completely trashed. go hunt down a new set.
                  You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                  If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                  1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                  1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                  1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                  1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                  1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                    They're BS32SS's. They were used on the GS550, 650, and 850. they're common. almost to the point of hilarity.

sounds like your set is completely trashed. go hunt down a new set.
                    Oh yeah, and 750s.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

norseman: yes it is a common problem and like you i had to extract pilots as well, it should give you good start at bonding with your bike though. take care by not leaving any non metalic parts in your carb cleaner. lots of great guys and gals on this site with lots of great knowledge and info. good luck and keep us posted. ikazuki

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement

Well, I'm done, short of waiting for the pilot jets I ordered today - $5 per, not a big deal. I had to hand clean (using carb cleaner) the body where the air screw is stuck, but dipped all the parts (brass, of course).

I did post another thread about the importance of one air screw not being adjustable, probably should have just added the question to this thread, apologize for that. I have to admit I'm relieved that so many others have experienced the same issues - misery loves company, I guess .

Anyway, thanks so much for all your advice and encouragement, couldn't have done it without you all. I will say this much, while it may be frustrating during the process, I know my carbs now and have the satisfaction of doing it myself (with your help). The dealerships are helpful in obtaining parts, but when it comes to questions on these older bikes, they REALLY don't have a clue...

Now the real challenge begins - tuning and adjusting. But then again, so many of you have posted very helpful info and resources on the subject, I believe I'll learn that as well!

Norseman
                        GS650GLX

Comment

Working...
                        X