Cam cover gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam cover gasket replacement

I am getting ready to change my cam cover gasket on my 78 gs1000.
    Does anyone know if there is a specific torque requirement and pattern for tightening the bolts? My manual doesn't list anything and I just want to make sure that I do this right. I have already tried to use the Hondabond/motoseal type but my cover seems to leak about 3 weeks after I do it so I am replacing it with a factory gasket.Any info you have will be greatly appreciated. THANX
    Sincerely, Bob Erickson, Somersworth, NH

I switched to a Silicone gasket by REALGASKETS. They are fully re-useable, guaranteed forever, and dont leak!

It was the best $25.00 I ever spent!

PS. I bought this after replacing the gasket once and having it leak like crazy after about 500 miles.

www.realgaskets.com is the site. Do a search, everyone that has one seems to love it.

Comment

7 pounds

7 foot-pounds is correct for both covers. That's not very tight at all. Over tightening bolts is probably one of the biggest mistakes people make when they work on machinery. In addition to shearing off bolts, it can make parts warp...and it often causes leaks.8-[
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

gs750 realgasket?

Originally posted by JHawkins View Post
        I switched to a Silicone gasket by REALGASKETS. They are fully re-useable, guaranteed forever, and dont leak!

It was the best $25.00 I ever spent!

www.realgaskets.com is the site. Do a search, everyone that has one seems to love it.
        I emailed the guy a while back and he says he doesn't have one for 750's. What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearson View Post
          I emailed the guy a while back and he says he doesn't have one for 750's. What gives?
          he does not have a complete cross reference chart. I believe the 750 and 850 are the same gasket. I cross referenced the part numbers on bikebandit before I ordered.

Comment

Call Harold at RealGaskets if his site doesn't list your bike. You can send him your valve cover and he'll make the gasket for you, based on your cover.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
              Call Harold at RealGaskets if his site doesn't list your bike. You can send him your valve cover and he'll make the gasket for you, based on your cover.

~Adam
              Back in Jan. Harold said this:
              "Sorry, I do not make a gasket for your model bike. You are the first to ask for one at this time. After I add the cost of making a die and the material together, it is not really a break even event unless I can make 25+ of a particular gasket and I don’t think you need that many.

If I decide to make one at a later date, you can be sure I will let you know. I thank you for your interest."

When I do order, I'll be sure to tell him the 850 works for the 750. I checked and BikeBandit's numbers do match as jhawkins suggested.

Comment

As already mentioned, be sure not to overtorque the RealGasket as you can damage them fairly easily (ask me how I know!). I just get 'em all slightly more than finger tight -- it doesn't take much for that silicone to seal well.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM.

Comment

When I do order, I'll be sure to tell him the 850 works for the 750. I checked and BikeBandit's numbers do match as jhawkins suggested.
                  The '79 850 gasket is probably the one closest to the '78 750 and Realgaskets does make it. Later 850s had 3 more bolt holes in the valve cover and thus a gasket for those will not fit the earlier 850s or your 750.

Tomcat
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2007, 10:10 PM. Reason: Correcting the bolt hole difference per Brian Wringer (I should have counted 'em before I wrote)

Comment

I helped Harold straighten out his GS850 listings, but I don't think we talked about the early GS750.

Please remember that he relies on us to supply the correct fitment information, and making gaskets for old motorcycles is just a pleasant hobby -- it can't be very profitable next to the car and aircraft gasket businesses. Be nice!

The same valve cover gasket fits 79-81 GS850s and all early (8 valve) GS750s. These have 16 bolts holding on the valve cover (6X40mm) and 4 (6X25mm) bolts holding on the breather cover. The gasket is symmetric left to right.

Some early 1982 GS850s were built using leftover cylinder heads from 1981, so make sure you look and count to see what's on your bike.

Later 1982 and 1983 GS850 models used 19 bolts for the valve cover and the gasket is asymmetric.

All early GS750 8 valve engines and all GS850 engines use the same breather cover gasket. (RG-SBC2 on Realgasket's site.) Make sure you get that one too.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Wonder if he has one for the 1000G, anyone know the part number off hand?

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Gaskets

Hi,you Can Make Your Gasket For The Camshaft Cover I Get My Gasket Paper From A Local Store Called City Seals & Bearings Here In The Uk;theres Different Gasket Papers Of Varying Thickneses,also Buy A Small Craft Knife And Steel Punch Set; Draw Round The Camshaft Cover Carefully Holding It In Position,poke Some Rod Down The Holes To Get The Positions Before Punching Out The Bolt Holes. On The Gasket There Is A Bridging Strip At Both Sides Joining The Back Of The Exhaust Camshaft Portion Of The Gasket To The Front Of The Inlet Portion Of The Gasket (check Ebay Out I Saw Some Gs Gaskets On There The Other Day)this Is To Assist Holding The Gasket In Position When Fitting.an Hour Or Two Making This Lets You Get On With The Job And Saves You Money And If You Mess Up You Simply Make Another.you Do Get Faster

Comment

Cover

The camshaft breather cover is not a major biggy....it's not going to leak oil, in almost any case, no matter what you do.....
                          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

bwringer has it right. The '78 750 is the same as the early 850. I have a realgasket on my '78 750 and it works great. Same cost as the factory paper one and it lasts a really long time...

And listen to t3rmin - finger tight (or just barely past) is tight enough.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                              The camshaft breather cover is not a major biggy....it's not going to leak oil, in almost any case, no matter what you do.....
                              Oh, yes it will! Guess how I know...
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X