About to rewind my stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to rewind my stator

I am about to rewind the stator on my '78 GS1000C. I have read the stator papers, unwrapped the stator wiring (Ugh! Pretty burnt and ugly. No wonder it didn't work), counted the wraps, purchased the magnet wire (only $5) and have a pretty good idea of how to go about it. I didn't know where to get the heat resistant epoxy that the Maynards recommend, so I asked the guy that sold me the wire what they use. He thought that the choice of epoxy was rather odd and told me that they just dip the wraps in varnish and bake it to harden it. He also told me that the magnet wire already has an insulating coating on it to keep it from shorting out and that the baked varnish dip is to keep the wire wraps from vibrating and wearing through the insulating coating.

So, my question is: Has anybody else done the stator rewind and what did you use to coat the wraps? My own experience with epoxy is that it softens up when you heat it. However, it may stiffen after it has had a chance to bake and cure further. I've never taken the observation that far.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Blaine

I have never done it but the epoxie is to protect the stator from vibration and from the hot oil. I would sugest wearing gloves, be very careful not to kink the wire and wrap it tightly As with any unfimaliar repair go slow and take your time

Comment

I did mine may years ago (20 I think). Used slightly larger wire and no epoxy. It is still in the bike now. The epoxy may stop vibration problems, but would also stop the oil cooling it. I have run an oil coler since that time, and I think this leads to mechanical longevity.

Comment

On reading this I remembered a can of paint I have had for years....dug through never-never land, aka basement) and found it. A number of different products are made by the same company, but they used to be about the top name for insulation on windings. I haven't done any winding for about 40 years, so I didn't know if it was still applicable.

My old can shows made by Canadian General Electric, but you can go directly to the US website for more info.

Go to www.glyptal.com and look around.

Look for product 9620....intended for use on stators, and good in oil up to 130C/265 F

They also encourage you to contact them directly for advice, and even state you will reach a chemist who will not try to push you into buying something, but will help you with your problem.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys! At the moment I am inclined to use the varnish, mostly because it is easier to obtain. I may even have some in the "swirling vortex" of my basement. My concern is that it may break down at higher temps.

The other question I will pose is: Should I remove all of the old coating from the stator (after the wraps are removed) or can I get away with putting the new wraps over the old coating?

Blaine

Comment

The coating on there is permanent insulation. leave it on, but get rid of the loose particles

Comment

Hey Junkman,

Sounds like a good project.

I did the same, about 6 mos ago. I peeled as much of the coating off of the core as would easily peel off. I got the wire from a local guy who does motor windings. The wire was pre-coated with a baked on finish. Then, once it was wound, I coated the windings in a high-temp epoxy that I found at my local hardware store.

A note of caution: after you've coated with epoxy (or whatever coating), and are letting it harden, be sure to restrict the loose wires such that they go where you want them to go. I didn't, and had to use some brute force to fix it!

However, it is working just fine.

Best of luck!
              mike

Comment

Working...
              X