Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick Start - No Spark

Hello all,

I'm trying to bring back to life a GS400 that I bought this last weekend from fellow member Dave (madbikebreaker). The key's been lost, but the one from my '86 450 works with the magic touch. At first none of the electrical was working (bad connection at the ignition switch) but I've got that connected now and most of the lights are working. I can't seem to get any spark though. The wiring diagram I have is for all the 400 models (including the ones with electric start), but mine is the base model one with kick start only. So, my question: how does the kick starter factor into generating spark? I'm not sure where to check connections since I'm not sure how spark gets to the plugs from kicking it over. Any help? Suggestions on where to check? If any one has a wiring diagram for a 400 kick start only that'd be cool too.

Thanks,
    Scott

maybe check to make sure your killswitch is hooked up correctly so that kill switch isnt activated. This will cause your lights to work but no spark.

Comment

Hi. My kick start wouldn't work. I was pulling in the clutch! Hope you're not as dippy as myself.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by swhomrig View Post
        my question: how does the kick starter factor into generating spark? I'm not sure where to check connections since I'm not sure how spark gets to the plugs from kicking it over.

Thanks,
        Scott
        power from the battery goes to the coils via the ignition switch and kill switch on right handle bar.
        the coil ground goes to the points where the closing of the points completes the circuit and fires the plugs.

Comment

I second the kill switch. I chased around ghosts for awhile and all it was was a dirty kill switch.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well the problem was between the coil and the points, but I got it all sorted out now and now this things got a second chance at life after sitting for 12 years! There were definitely some funny smells at first but it seems like everythings smoothed out now that its run a bit. I'll try to post some more details about the restoration process once I really get under way.

Comment

Glad you got it worked out. You should give a detailed post on what you did so others can learn from your venture.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X