'82 GS650GL Rear Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS650GL Rear Shocks

Hello everyone..quality question for you. Need to replace the rear shocks on the bike because when the girlfriend gets on the back it bottoms out on most bumps..plus they are stock and due for a change anyhow. I was looking to spend as little as possible so am not looking for top of the line. I found these on Bike Bandit and was wondering if you all thought they would be a decent shock or if I should steer clear of them...they are only $56 a pair.

They are listed as:
    "Progressive Suspension Magnum 12 & 13 Series Heavy Duty Springs, Black 105-150 lbs."

And the link to them is:
    http://www.productplace.net/html/bik...007150807.html

Thanks for your opinions! Any other brand recommendation would be appreciated too.. I ride double probably 10% of the time and alone the rest if that matters.

Progressives are about the best you can get...

When I bought my poor, beat up bike, I put Progressives on the back of it. But, I think I paid more than that for them, as I think I bought the heaviest duty they had for my GS650L. You will probably never hear anyone talk badly about Progressives. If you think they will support the weight you need, then by all means forge ahead.

Comment

Weight...

Thanks, now..as far as the weight goes, those look like they are listed in the description as 105-150lbs. I am still learning about what that translates too..because I weight more than that myself, but I'm guessing that doesn't mean how much of a rider they'll support?

Comment

The listing you're looking at is just for the springs. The shocks are sold separately and run about $125 - $150 a set.

The spring rate given is the force it takes to compress the spring one inch. Since these are progressive springs, the spring rate increases as they compress. The lower number is the spring rate at the beginning of the spring's travel and the higher number is the spring rate at the end of the spring's travel. (Ordinary springs have the same rate for their entire working range.)

Progressive sells standard and heavy-duty springs for each application. I don't know off the top of my head which springs you have listed, but you will want to get the heavy-duty springs, since you like to ride 2-up.

There are also some Emgo shocks out there for about $80 a set complete with springs, and many here have said they work perfectly well for everyday riding. I don't know how well they work for riding 2-up, but if you and the GF are of fairly average weight, they might be worth a go. If you need beefier springs, the Progressives are the least expensive way to get there.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Weight...

Thanks a lot. That makes sense concerning the compression of the spring and the weight given. Now I know a little bit more. I'll take a look at those Emgo shocks too. Appreciate the help! This wouldn't be the adventure it is if Suzuki hadn't discontinued the OEM ones.

Comment

Dang, for $60 I was ganna get me a set and I don't even own a 650.;-)
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X