Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing 8 Amps with Bike Off

On a 1982 GS550L (all original):

I went out to ride yesterday, turned the key, and absolutely nothing happened (never has been the case before). After reading up here at the technical forum and the stator papers, I have checked the fuses - all are fine, none blown. I then connected another 12 volt battery and checked for current draw with the ignition off and the run switch off (as if the bike were parked), and these are the results:

Ignition fuse only: 0 A
    signal fuse only: 0 A
    Lamps fuse only: 0 A
    main only: 8 A
    main with anything else: 8 A

So it seems the main fuse is the target - any ideas on where to start checking for broken/melted wires based on this information?

Thanks for your comments.

Dang, 8 amps? :shock:

The smoke and glowing should get your attention shortly...

Start by stripping off the side panels and tank, and check every connector for signs of burning. Check the back of the fusebox.

Try disconnecting the coils -- maybe a coil is shorted internally.

Try disconnecting various connectors one at a time to narrow down the short.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I would think that the only place 8 amps could go is through the R/R. Try the test with it disconnected. LOL

Comment

I didn't ask a second questions because I figured I could find out this from my manual - there is another fuse near the four main fuses, not in the same box. It is in a white-ish/clear plastic box, I think perhaps on the R/R (again, I haven't looked at it since yesterday) - does the R/R have it's own fuse?

...because, when I took this fuse out, and had the Main fuse in by itself with this particular fuse out also, there were 12 Amps! and then with it in, and Main in, only 8 amps.

So - does that give any further clues to confirm your guess?

Comment

[img]fuses.jpg[/img]
          Here's a picture of the main fuse box (bright white) with the plastic box above it with the single fuse I am speaking of...
          Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2007, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X