Oil window busted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil window busted

First off, this forum and website are the most amazing resource for everything GS. Thanks all for wonderful tips and hints that I've used all last week to make my semi-roadworthy 81 GS850G almost completely roadworthy.

Ok, get a hold of something... Apparently nobody on this forum or the internet in general has run into this... um ... issue.

While cleaning the engine, I saw that the oil window was painted over, so out comes my trusty dremel with the soft brush. Ghm... it's not coming off, better try the harder brush. The harder brush goes too fast and melts over the window, so with a grin, I take a screw driver and begin to scrape the filth off... except that I didn't count on the window being made of plastic and kind of breaks. So the oil leaks out and I'm in a panic.

Any suggestions on how to replace this dang window? I would be just as comfortable just covering it with something else, like an external oil cooler. Any ideas?

Replace it with a new one. I believe the part # is 11971-45010.

bill

Comment

Thanks Bill! Off to see the dealer bright and early in the morn.

But are you talking about replacing just the window or the whole cover?

Comment

And is there anything special that I need to be aware of when taking the cover off? I have 10 thumbs so any pointers would be REALLy appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X