No announcement yet.

Removing the allen bolt on front forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and the way in this case involves heat. Get out that heat gun and have at it!

Comment

Well I finally got the seals changed today. Took the bike for a ride and it rides better now that that's fixed.

I took the forks to my friend, who is good buddies with his autos teacher at the local high school. As it turns out, he has an '82 GS650 so he was more willing to do it. He put it in the vise and after using brute force, he pried it out with a big screwdriver. Something was a little odd though. Apparently, Suzuki redesigned the oil seals because the ones he took out were different than the ones he put in. After we got that all figured out, I went home and filled it with oil.

So I guess the moral of the story is, if you can't do it yourself, go to the guy with more tools.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

There IS another way!!!

A bit of epoxy over that and it'll be good as new [-X
        Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by janksolid View Post

A bit of epoxy over that and it'll be good as new [-X
          What the heck is that??
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's the bottom of a fork slider after I'd been at it with a drill and a hammer before removing the allen bolt with some mole grips.

Fortunately I was only after getting the stanchion out as the alloy was already cracked. :-\"
            Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X