83 Suzuki GS1100GKD-- IGNITION PROBLEMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 Suzuki GS1100GKD-- IGNITION PROBLEMS

Last summer I was riding and the bike just dies. I check the sig gen and igniter both are dead. I am getting no Resistance from either per my haynes and clymer manual. So today I finally save enough up to buy the Dyna 2000 Ignition system w/ coils system and I was probing to make sure there was nothing else wrong. I find continuity between the starter post and and the starter casing. I pulled it out and checked again, sure enough it's there. Now on some European automobiles they have a negative power system where the positive is actually ground this is not the case with these bikes... is it? Also there is gas on the spline. Some of the things that may help trouble shoot are that the baffels were drilled out on the bike when purchased and the carbs are running a little rich. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Chris

hmmmmmmmmmmmm. yes, you should have continuity between the starter motor post and the housing. All electrical devices much have continuity in order to operate. There has to be a complete circuit, B+ battery power goes in at the "post" (haven't lookit inside) but, thru, maybe the positive brushes and then the thru the armature, completing the circuit thru the negative brushes which are then terminated to "-negative-" thru the starter casing and engine ground.
    Just like a light bulb. power the hot terminal, goes thru the filament and then to ground thru the bulb socket. Take away the power, yu have no light. Remove the ground, you have no light. You must have continuity to complete the circuit.

If your starter is turning over (cranking) at a good rate, the starter is probably ok. There are xact specifications for voltage, amps, and rpm to absoultly define good from bad. Seat of pants, if its cranking good, at a good speed, for an extended time, (assuming a good battery) then the starter is good.

As far as gas on the splines? Oil yes, gasoline, should not be. Check your crankcase oil for gasoline.

Baffles drilled out, i don't know what you mean!!!

did the Dyna system get you running?

Comment

correct me if I'm wrong but just like a light bulb if the power is grounded before the filament won't that cause the line coming from the power source to heat up and "fry" the weakest link in the system? ie.. igniter unit, sig gen and/ or ignition coils. When referring to the baffles being drilled out, I was speaking of the baffles in the exhaust.. which I believe could cause the carbs to run either rich or lean which in my case the carbs are running rich and possibly having an excess of fuel sitting in the chambers that cannot be burnt quick enough by the spark plugs and in turn the fuel leaking down into the crankcase.... and I have not ordered the Dyna system yet. I was making one quick pass on the electrical system so I was sure there was nothing that could have made the Igniter and the Sig Gen go bad so that I didn't spend $400 for nothing. I am getting 0 Resistance on both. Thanks, Chris

Comment

Dificult to say but when you get it running CHECK the voltage reg. Bad reg can cause 18-20 volts to be applied to electrics

Comment

Originally posted by crsticken View Post
          correct me if I'm wrong but just like a light bulb if the power is grounded before the filament won't that cause the line coming from the power source to heat up and "fry" the weakest link in the system?
          Must be the way i wrote it!!grounding a power wire will make it fry. I was trying to explaint the path of power thu a light bulb. Start at the power lead in, accross the filament, and completes the circuit through the bulb base. The short circuit in reality IS the wire filament inside the bulb. IT is "frying". Thats why we get light. IT frys for a long time because of the metal used for the filament, and the inert gas inside the glass housing. Took Edison a long time to work all that out. SqDancerLynn1 may be correct. High voltage can wipe out electonics. Are you overcharging? Did you put a charger on the battery that uses a high voltage boost for starting? The solid state electronics for the 83 1100 was pretty good. I would try for a used one on ebay. The Dyna system is good. The spark advance curve you select will deviate from stock.

Comment

I apologize if I offended on my last post. I am at wits end with this motorcycle which, when purchased, I was told it sat for about three years but in actuality it seems to have set at least 3 times that. I had replaced the rectifier/ regulator a few weeks before this had happened and it was reading around 14.5 volts at high rev. But I will check again. At the shop where I worked at the time we had a charger that I used that was kind of flaky at times. Maybe that had weakened the ignition system. Hadn't thought of that. Well i do have the starter at the shop right now just getting it checked out. So I will get the Dyna system on order. Thanks again, Chris
            Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

nooo. i wasn't offended. Its difficult to explain ones thoughts. Writing them can be even more difficult. (i believe in the Vulcan mind meld for best communication). SInce we are seperated by many miles, we will attempt communication with the written word. Keep us posted.

I actually have a Dyna system complete with Dyna coils. i was thinking about selling all. I bought it new, installed it, used it one year, and went back to the OE Suzuki stuff. 82' GS1100GLZ

vic

Comment

Is it the Dyna 2000 Electronic Ignition and Coils DYDDK3-2C. If so I believe it covers '77- '85 models. If you are willing to part with them how much would you ask?

Chris

Comment

sorry, not avoiding you. i have many deadlines to meet and many things going on at home. Yes i would sell the Dyna stuff. I am not going to use it. I think there where (2) coil options at the time. grey and maybe green. Differant ohm readings and spark output. I think i have the grey ones. I have the kit packaged somewhere in the basement. I have all the original paper work. If you can wait, i can get the info on what i actually have. IF you would, please find the current value on such a system to help me decide a sell price.
                  vic

Comment

Working...
                  X