Front brake switch problems…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake switch problems…

OK, let’s see if I can describe this without using the word thingy.

While doing my spring inspection I discovered that applying my front brake lever does not illuminate the brake light. Applying the rear break pedal works as it should. I removed the two screws holding the electrical components beneath the front brake lever to find nothing inside. Apparently there is supposed to be a spring and a small metal,… thingy inside. Does anyone know where or if I can get all the necessary components to get this switch working correctly? Or is there a way to jerry rig this switch?

I have extras for a '78 750...

Let me get mine working and I'll pass along what's left over.
    Give me a day or two.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can get it from Suzuki, or from CRC2: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com

Third item down:
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I say find a better one......I have replaced all of the stupid thingIE on all my GS's over the years....I'm switching to this!

Just my 2cents worth.
        Kevin

Comment

The CRC2 link appears to be out of stock.

GEORGEFIX'S MOTORCYCLE PARTS is a very reliable eBay seller and a good source for new GS replacement parts. It's been my experience that if you bid on an item at the opening bid, bid no more and are outbid, he will send you an email offering the part at the opening bid price. Since he has plenty of these replacement parts like front brake switches, he is smart and doesn't want to lose a sale. Shipping is fast and is only $2.00 for the brake switch, which is extra low (especially for eBay).

Comment

GET the hyd switch works great. Put one on my 850 last year

Comment

I've bought switches, petcocks and gaskets from Georgefix and I'm perfectly happy.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Suzuki still sell them here in the UK as a whole set rather than peices. The small plastic mushroom (best way to describe it) has a small spring plus a bent peice of copper plate at the top which makes the connections to the flat peice of material (don't know what it's made of) that has the two electrical connectors and the wires.

The major problem comes when you try and put the mushroom part into the brake lever. If you get it in the wrong whole/slot on first operation it shears the bl**dy thing off.

To adjust you loosen the two retaining screws and slide the cables and connections till you get contact and rear light.

On the GS1000 I get a bit of aluminium dust/corrosion that fouls up the connections so ever few months have to clean the whole unit.

Suzuki Mad
                1981 GS1000ET
                1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                2002 GSF1200K1
                Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2007, 04:07 AM. Reason: Spell chucker (me)

Comment

This Suzuki front brake switch arrangement is best described as a relic from the STONE AGE.

I mean, the whole idea of having a plastic thingy with a copper clip over the end, that sits in a hole on the lever and slides across a couple of contacts that are, basically, exposed to the weather is... DAFT. ](*,)

Get rid of it, any way you can.

Comment

Originally posted by distraction628 View Post
                    I say find a better one......I have replaced all of the stupid thingIE on all my GS's over the years....I'm switching to this!
                    http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Conversion/Brake%20Light%20Switch.htm
                    I bought and installed a similiar hydraulic switch after spending a total of an hour or two chasing small parts around the garage and fiddling around trying to put the stock one back together.

It cost a few bucks at Dennis Kirk, ($17.99 at http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...afCatId=&mmyId= ) but you install it and forget it forever.

Comment

I see the logic in the hydraulic switch, but where do you install it? I don't see any extra fittings on the brake line. Would I need an adapter of sorts to make the connection? This sounds like the way to go, and the price is not bad.

Thanks for the input everyone, as usual this site rocks because of the people.

Comment

My 750 had a similar problem. While all the parts were there, for a while, the plastic 'mushroom' was cracked. It wasn't until I hear of it's existence here that I even knew I had a front brake light switch. But, of course, when I did realize it was there and went to disassemble it, all the little important parts went everywhere. IE.. lost.

That being said, her's my tip if you decide to replace the missing parts. Loosen the brake handle and rotate it 180 degrees. This way you are able to actually see what you are doing. Get everything together and then adjust the switch. It's just a matter of loosening the 'mushroom' screws and moving it slightly in either direction.

Brad bt

Comment

the pressure awitch takes the place of your banjo bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by NE750E View Post
                            I see the logic in the hydraulic switch, but where do you install it? I don't see any extra fittings on the brake line. Would I need an adapter of sorts to make the connection? This sounds like the way to go, and the price is not bad.

Thanks for the input everyone, as usual this site rocks because of the people.
                            It replaces the bolt.

I need one.

Comment

Originally posted by NE750E View Post
                              OK, let’s see if I can describe this without using the word thingy.

While doing my spring inspection I discovered that applying my front brake lever does not illuminate the brake light. Applying the rear break pedal works as it should. I removed the two screws holding the electrical components beneath the front brake lever to find nothing inside. Apparently there is supposed to be a spring and a small metal,… thingy inside. Does anyone know where or if I can get all the necessary components to get this switch working correctly? Or is there a way to jerry rig this switch?
                              I just bought the plastic piece that slides back and forth by the action of the brake lever from Suzuki for $2.25. Included spring and metal piece that makes contact inside switch. Took about 10 minutes to get back together.

Comment

Working...
                              X