Front brake switch problems…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post

That being said, her's my tip if you decide to replace the missing parts. Loosen the brake handle and rotate it 180 degrees. This way you are able to actually see what you are doing. Get everything together and then adjust the switch. It's just a matter of loosening the 'mushroom' screws and moving it slightly in either direction.

Brad bt
    Sounds like a great tip but I wonder......is there the possibility of getting air into the brake line when inverting the master cylinder or no?

Comment

Originally posted by ggreenfield View Post
      Sounds like a great tip but I wonder......is there the possibility of getting air into the brake line when inverting the master cylinder or no?

Yes.
      I did that very thing.

Try not to squeeze the handle when inverted.

Comment

After evicting a spider and cleaning up the contacts the operation was a success! Thanks.

Comment

I put a big glob of dielectric grease in there when cleaning my brake light switch. I'm hoping that'll keep the nasties and corrosion out.

Comment

Originally posted by ggreenfield View Post
            Yes, possible, but no problem. Bleeding takes about 3 minutes. It's good to flush clean fluid through every so often anyway.

Comment

I have one of those switches in a plastic bag and nothing in my master cylinder (it was missing when I bought the bike). Does anyone have a diagram of how it goes together? or is it self-explanatory when I have a look at it?

Comment

Should be rather self-explanatory. There is a button that fits into a groove in the handle (brake or clutch). When the handle moves, it makes the button slide along the contacts that are screwed onto the bottom of the assembly. The timing of the contact can be adjusted somewhat by sliding the bottom cover. This determines exactly when the lights come on.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X