How critical is 1 airscrew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How critical is 1 airscrew?

Well, I finally got through the cleaning & gasket/o-ring replacements on my GS650GLX. One problem remains - #4 carb airscrew is frozen in place. I even took it to a vintage-bike shop in the Detroit area, and he couldn't budge it. The alternative at this place is to have it drilled out, but the shop owner advised strongly against that. His point was he couldn't guarantee the carb body wouldn't be damaged, and it appears the air screw is frozen in a 3/4-turn out position. Since it only controls idle, and with three other carbs adjusted properly, he felt the the little gain wasn't worth the risk (unless I had an xtra #4 carb body).

My question is: do you all agree with his statement? I am tempted to just leave it alone, but would appreciate any insight you folks may have.

Norseman

Does it idle on that cylinder???

If not you might want to try to fix it.
    If it works OK, why bother?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

tkent02, I haven't got to the point of reinstalling on the bike, so I simply don't know. It wouldn't idle more than 10-15 seconds before stalling out (unless I gave it throttle) before I stripped the carbs of the bike because two of the carbs were leaking fuel badly.

Your point is well taken, though. I will reinstall once I get the new pilot jets, and check that. I think I will buy the "view-plug" (can't remember the actual name off-hand). I don't have the money for manometer right now, so I will bench-sync, reinstall, do the highest rpm method, and fine-tune in a month or so. Am I making sense here?

Norseman

Comment

Yah, that makes sense.....

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
        tkent02, I haven't got to the point of reinstalling on the bike, so I simply don't know. It wouldn't idle more than 10-15 seconds before stalling out (unless I gave it throttle) before I stripped the carbs of the bike because two of the carbs were leaking fuel badly.

Your point is well taken, though. I will reinstall once I get the new pilot jets, and check that. I think I will buy the "view-plug" (can't remember the actual name off-hand). I don't have the money for manometer right now, so I will bench-sync, reinstall, do the highest rpm method, and fine-tune in a month or so. Am I making sense here?

Norseman
        No point in spending what you don't want to at this point. Chances are it may have been adjusted about right way back when.
        If it doesn't work too well you can always look on ebay for a carb body.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Will these carbs work on an 82 GS850G

Hi All;

I trying to figure out whether the following carbs will work on my 82 GS850G (Mikuni BS32SS, ID# 45160).

1) 1980 GS550
          2) 1982 GS1100
          3) 1982 GS1100E
          4) 1983 GS1100E

I ask because I want to get a set of carbs to work on, but I want to be able to use them on my bike.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Charles...

Comment

Working...
          X