Stupid Headlight Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Headlight Question

OK... This is gonna sound stupid... But are the lights supposed be always on? I thought my left hand switch was "Stuck" on so I got another set and they too are on all the time. Everything works, but I cant turn the lights off... Is that normal and if so anyone need a good set of left hand switches LOL.

Doesn't sound normal to me; I think you must have some sort of shorting-out happening in your switch, or somewhere else in the circuit.

Comment

Your headlight should always be on. By '83 all bikes had headlights on with the ignition on. Some of our bikes have switches which can be "modified" to defeat the always on feature.

I have 3 '78 GS1000's. Two have headlights I can turn on/off. One has a switch, but I can't move it to the off position. On my '80 GS1100 I don't even have a headlight switch. Only high/low.

tfb, Aussie models may not have had this requirement.

Comment

Cool thanks!

Comment

i recently had to replace mine and the old one was a working on/off switch, but the repacement is permanently on.

Comment

That must be a pain when the battery is 1/2 flat and you're desperately trying to start the bike...

Comment

My 1980 is permanently on too. Just a high low switch.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My 1980 is permanently on too. Just a high low switch.

If you want it to switch off when cranking you could wire the earth up to ground out through the coils on the starter, that way when you push the ignition button the light goes out & then comes back on when it's started.....
                We do the same thing with fans on our kit cars to stop them drawing current when you're trying to get it started.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My 1979 GS750L has an on and off switch. I turn the lights off when starting it, especially when the battery is low. I usually end up riding a bit with the lights off by accident though.

Comment

suzuki had a bunch of switches they wanted to use, so they just locked the switch on and didn't show the off option
                    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
                      suzuki had a bunch of switches they wanted to use, so they just locked the switch on and didn't show the off option
                      lol, nothing like getting the left overs

Comment

If you take a small screwdriver and remove the screw on the side of the switch you will see a small tab...........file it off and the switch will work. Did it on my '81 650

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedRoads View Post
                          If you take a small screwdriver and remove the screw on the side of the switch you will see a small tab...........file it off and the switch will work. Did it on my '81 650
                          Someone's gotta say it...don't do it. Bikes are hard enough to see by cagers with the lights on. Take every advantage.

Comment

I've never heard of this on Aussie bikes before.

Headlights on (in the daytime) is a clever move but it's not mandatory for older bikes to have it. I think they have to be built that way now though.

Comment

Wiring pigtails are in place up to at least '86 to make a switch set work I changed all 3 of my gs1100s to '78 &'79 gs1000 control switches from that came from a salvage yard. Bought them for $10 each

Comment

Working...
                              X