Stupid Headlight Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tfb View Post
    That must be a pain when the battery is 1/2 flat and you're desperately trying to start the bike...
    Half flat? You Aussies aren't trying to run ya bikes on ony 3 cells are ya? Mr Zuki had you in mind when he kept the kick starter on until '79.
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I dont remember the year but it is a federal requirement for motorcycles to have the headlamp always on now. It happened sometime along the same time as the dreaded 85 mph speedo. along with seatbelts for cars in the early 60's, backup lamps in the mid 60's side marker lights in the early 70's etc.

I feel so safe now I want to hug myself.

One of my next projects for this year is to rig a switch to cut all lights including brake lite for a sort of secret squirrel stealth mode.

Comment

If you want to restore the ON/OFF function of your switch that is locked in place, it is rather easy. It has been a while since I did it to my son's '81 450T, but I think it only involved removing the housing and then removing the tab from the inside that was locking it in place.

I have installed one of these modified switches on the '82 650L and checked the charging voltage. It actually charges better with the light ON. :shock: Probably has something to do with the duty-cycle of the regulator, but I usually have the light off to start the bike, then turn it on before hitting the end of the driveway. (I said usually. )

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I put a switch on mine to cut out the lights when I don't need them on.

Comment

Working...
          X